Migrating to 64bit Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating to 64bit Linux

I would like some guidance in planing for an upcoming server upgrade.
    I am non-merchant developer and do not use SSL or commerce libraries.

My current environment:
    Local Development / Windows XP / MivaScript Compiler 5.20 (Windows 32bit)
    Hosting / Linux CentOS 6.8 / MivaEmpresa 5.20 (32bit)

I intend to migrate to Linux CentOS 7.2 (64bit)

Question #1
    If I install Empresa (64bit) on the new server, will I need to recompile my existing programs to run in the new environment?

Question #2
    How do I determine which version of Empresa to install: Linux, glibc23, or FastCGI ?

Thank you,
    Tim

My recommendation would be to install the latest 32-bit not glibc23 and not fastcgi empresa version on your hosting environment first. This should be simply replacing a couple files; just rename the Empresa binary, alter the config to point at the new libraries in a new location, make sure things work. Now you're on 5.24 32-bit on your live site. If anything goes wrong, put the old config back in place.

On new server, same thing, 64-bit Empresa regular (not glibc23, not fastgci), point at appropriate libraries, test using hosts file, if all is well, go live. You should not need to recompile existing mivascript files as far as I know.

The glibc23 version is for specific newer OS releases that have that glibc version; it is less backwards compatible from an OS standpoint, but *might* be necessary for certain newer OS's. The FastCGI versions are very specific to having that feature enabled but are otherwise the same. Whether or not FastCGI is beneficial and/or desirable is very very case specific, so no reason to get bogged down in that before simply upgrading and getting things working with a more recent version.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Appreciate the prompt feedback! I will proceed with the steps you recommended.

Thanks,
      Tim

Comment

Working...
      X