category alias or aka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

category alias or aka

Not sure if this would be generally useful but I'm throwing it out for consideration anyway.

We have one distributor who we added 3000 products for. Because of the difficulty in maintaining all of those products between our two sites the boss opted to just duplicate their category/sub-category structure.The problem for me is that its a bit confusing with many categories with one or two items that could easily be condensed.

A simple example is there are multiple shovel sub categories, many with just one shovel, ie round shove, square shovel, scooped shovel, spade, snow shovel. I could put the five or six items in one category but do that for enough products/categories and it would be very hard to keep our product list synced.

What I am wondering is if it would be possible/desirable to have a feature allowing us to assign an alias(s) to a category so that I could create a category 'ctgy-shovel' and assign as aliases ctgy-scoop-shovel, ctgy-square-shovel etc. Then when I upload products via csv, using the vendors structure, Miva would know that the product that has ctgy-square-shovel in the category code field needs to be sent to the ctgy-shovel category.

Hope this is clear.
    Last edited by habreu; 04-13-16, 03:04 PM.

About as clear as a politician answering a questions :) ... my advice, take the time to do right by your customers and assign the products to proper categories within your current store. 3000 sounds like a lot, but you should be able to use Excel and run some sorting features to speed up tagging the product correctly.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Ouch, putting 'as a politician' or 'like a politician' in any post (given the political climate of the times) is like getting poked in the eye with a stick. ;) I'll work out something that will satisfy boss and customer. Hopefully no one minds me firing occasional idea salvos - just how the brain works.
      Last edited by habreu; 04-14-16, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X