'note' attribute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'note' attribute

Just a minor suggestion. It might be useful to add a ‘note’/html attribute type to the attribute drop down. I’m moving stuff to a new site you are building for us and I see the guys have put notes and HTML in the attribute and option title areas to guide customers, which sometimes ‘breaks’ the appearance of the options.

Allowing a simple block of HTML inserted would be easy and cleaner.

PS: I guess some sort of optional title tag or information '?' tooltip for each attribute to show if it has content in it would work too. i.e. the attribute is underlined or has a '?' and hovering shows the optional associated text

Not sure exactly what you are looking for but should be able to do this using conditionals and possibly custom fields in the Attribute Template.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

What I meant was something like this (from the websitebaker cms). You don't necessarily need a '?' it could also be a simple text block that could optionally be inserted (behind the scenes I guess it could be a text field, set to read only and with border hidden). Some things are such common needs, like explanatory or help text, it makes sense (to me) to not have to resort to programming for it. My 2 cents.

Last edited by habreu; 07-12-16, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Yea, might be a good idea, however, one could do this on their own with simple CSS and attribute template encoding (and maybe custom fields)

Basically you want a container like this somewhere near the attribute display:

<a class="helpPop"><span class="helpNote">custom field expression or plain text</span>?</a>

Then in your css, you set the a.helpPop span to display:none, and a.helpPop:hover span to display:block; position: absolute;

That gives you a basic, simple css popup. (check the web for more detail style approaches, you can get some pretty good visuals with this method.
        Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Yeah, I did this on the old site using a tooltip script, and I could work it out again but I'm becoming averse to using much beyond core code and modules from 3rd party developers that are active in the community and regularly updated. We are replacing our old 5-6 year old site with one by Miva Design. It is responsive and the code will be 'fresh and clean'. The old site accumulated so many little hacks, tweaks and discontinued modules and I've learned that as a 'code tweaker' at best, keeping up with all of that, making requisite template upgrades, especially after a few years of not looking at an item, and you end up with the code equivalent of Frankenstein's monster. In any case I may end up doing what you suggest but figured it was worth suggesting. :)

Comment

I hear ya...one thing that is missing from Mivascript knowledge (and to some degree its current basic structure) are methods and tools to make things like this more portable and upgradeable.

Here's one thing that we do to help portability and upgradability.

Make sure your template code has a slim as possible insertion point. For example:

mvt:if expr
            do this
            else
            do that
            /mvt:if

and instead of inserting code for Do This/Do That, insert a template render code to a page called "_functions" and write out long assed functions there. its a bit of a hassle as parameters have to be passed by globals, but it lets you build 'functions' that can be used over and over again. For example, you could write a function to produce the help prompt, and then call it along globals to produce the desired markup. so, you only write/update the function once.
            Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Good point - thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X