Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automated product created and/or modified date time stamp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated product created and/or modified date time stamp.

I'm almost sure I have brought this up before, and I think others might have also. I know when I first mentioned it to our dear old friend "Old Man Weiland" and explained just some of the different needs for it, he immediately incorporated into his Tool Kit module "Last Update Date/Time Stamp" not only to products but categories and customers as well. I cannot image any business that would not benefit from this feature.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

I don't understand what you're asking for?
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

It would be easy to do with a custom field. Just include the date when creating/importing products, ignore it all the other times.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
        I don't understand what you're asking for?
        Automatically date and time stamp when a product was first added and last updated.
        Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
          It would be easy to do with a custom field. Just include the date when creating/importing products, ignore it all the other times.
          True, as usual... but that would not be automated, one could easily forget to update the field, which would render the data unreliable. Old man Weiland's Tool Kit module already allows the ability to do it and quite ingeniously, but it would be ideal if the the MIVA.
          Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Well, that would be a pretty simple module if you only wanted to track this through the admin changes. I don't think weiland's module could track imports unless you imported the changes through the module.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
              Well, that would be a pretty simple module if you only wanted to track this through the admin changes. I don't think weiland's module could track imports unless you imported the changes through the module.
              That is exactly why I prefer a creation and last modified date and time stamp by MIVA, two date fields that cannot be edited, a must for proper change management, etc.... If I need date fields that can be edited, I can always add those myself through Tool Kit.

Note: Refer to Tool Kit module documentation # 93. http://apps.miva.com/emporium-plus-tool-kit.html.
              Last edited by William Davis; 08-18-16, 10:25 AM.
              Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I have needed this field for 12 years.. I just added a field in the product table in the database and have mysql automatically put a timestamp in it when a record is created. Piece of advice... make sure you use a field name that Miva would NEVER use, or things will break when updates and patches occur (learned that the hard way). I now alway use some letters and an underscore before a descriptive word, example: MY_timestamp. I use Toolkit to get that date and do things with it.

Comment

We would be interested in this as well. It would be a great way to know which products have been updated recently and which ones still need to be updated. Especially helpful on websites with thousands of products like ours.
                  Thanks,
                  Christine

Comment

It might even be a good idea to conditionally display last update date in product landing page when out of stock on collectible sites for obvious reasons.
                    Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I'm just documenting on this old thread.. cause I looked for this info. Now it is available in miva 9.09. the code is &mvt:product:dt_updated; There is also &mvt:product:dt_created;

Comment

kayakbabe
                        You're the best! Don't you just hate it when you go through these forums and the actual answer is never updated? :) So thank you!
                        Colin Puttick
                        Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Now I’m curious if dt_updated is updated by xml import or not? Anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                          X