What happened to the forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the forums?

So far, I hate the new format. It displays threads in oldest-first order, and there's no longer a button for "View first unread." And when I click the link in a notification email, it takes me to the oldest post, so I have to click or scroll around hunting for the new content. Could this be any less convenient? Or am I missing something? Are there settings somewhere to change this behavior?
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Name in upper right corner -> User Settings -> Account tab -> "Latest Activity" for the Display Mode. It will show the original post at the top, but just below it the posts will be ordered newest first.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

I've found that we can set it back to the other old way via the admin side of things if you want me to make that change for your account? I'll talk to our web folks to see if all four display options (newest first, oldest first, hybrid, threaded) can be made visible on the public side user preferences.
      David Hubbard
      CIO
      Miva
      [email protected]
      http://www.miva.com

Comment

I liked the old way better, too (unless I am just used to it) - it had 'new' posts that would simply go away, after I read them, making finding updates and new comments easier...
        Sabine Sharp
        eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
        Glendale Designs
        Support Desk

Comment

We're working on restoring that functionality. Other than aesthetics, the main reason for the change was the old version was the equivalent to a hacked together 4 Store and it had become increasingly difficult to maintain and keep secure.

We upgraded to the equivalent of a vBulletin Ready Theme and are still learning our way around customizing it without harming ourselves.
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

Ah, if you are taking requests...how about a little 'less' whitespace. I mean i dig clean and uncluttered, but I can't even see the first post without scrolling down.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

The "Mark Channels Read" function doesn't seem to work. At least as it previously did. I've always just had a book mark that lands on "Most Recent Activity" but no matter what I do, its shows the same number of posts (most recent first, true...but it doesn't hide the already viewed messages).

Also, I can't seem to remove the Messages (2) notice, though I've deleted ALL messages.
              Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

The "Mark Channels Read" will mark all the forum post as read, you then can click on "New Topics" and that will list the unread posts. We will be renaming "New Topics" to something else most likely tomorrow.

On the Messages, if you go into you messages, make sure you have marked all your messages as read, once done, it should no longer show a number next to the Messages link.

We are working on go to first unread post when clicking on the post title, but you can click the green arrow when there are unread posts, and that will take you to the first unread post.
                Doug Borowski
                Director of IT | Miva

Comment

Why am I getting notifications for all sorts of threads and forums I am not subscribed to? How do I disable it?

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
                    I've found that we can set it back to the other old way via the admin side of things if you want me to make that change for your account? I'll talk to our web folks to see if all four display options (newest first, oldest first, hybrid, threaded) can be made visible on the public side user preferences.
                    Me too, please.

Jamie
                    Jamie Donaldson
                    JSDVS Web Design / Development
                    Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
                      Name in upper right corner -> User Settings -> Account tab -> "Latest Activity" for the Display Mode. It will show the original post at the top, but just below it the posts will be ordered newest first.
                      Yep. I did that, so I guess I am good.
                      Jamie Donaldson

Comment

So...I hadn't gotten any notifications of changes to my subscribed forums/thread for quite a while. So this AM, I just happened to have time, so I stop by and found the changes. Why do I not get email notifications anymore? How do I get them again?
                        Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by jsdva View Post
                          So...I hadn't gotten any notifications of changes to my subscribed forums/thread for quite a while. So this AM, I just happened to have time, so I stop by and found the changes. Why do I not get email notifications anymore? How do I get them again?
                          Soooo. Is anyone getting email notifications from the forums that there are new posts to their subscribed forums/threads/posts? Can anyone tell me how to get them again? I've looked all over my user profile and the faqs....and....nothing! That was so very convenient, and I'd love to have it again.

Please????
                          Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Yeah I get mine. I'll ask Doug to see what's going on with your account.
                            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                            CEO
                            Miva, Inc.
                            [email protected]
                            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Another issue. Can this be looked at in my account as well?

Error and related to the email notifications like we used to have....so I was playing thinking maybe re-subscribing will give me the option to get email notifications...So, I unsubscribed to Official Miva Merchant News - Read Only and then tried to re-subscribe and got the error: Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page (no_permission)

Thanks,

Jamie
                              Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Working...
                              X