Redirect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redirect

Hi. This is not urgent. I was just poking around to see if there was a way to list a subcategory in two places. So for example I might have a category 'Locks' that could actually be under the 'Swing Door', 'Roll Door' and 'Gate' categories.

I understand that right now the way to deal with this is to create three 'Lock' categories, one in each parent, then add the products. Of course I'd have to update all three for every change. (Correct?)

I imagine it is possible to work some magic in htaccess but I've had problems in there before and don't want to edit.

I tried the URI section but don't understand it. In any case it knows when I try to redirect that 'that uri already exists' if I try to redirect multiple categories (ie lockcopy1,lockcopy2,lockcopy3) to the same target.

Next I tried creating a dummy category 'Lock-Redirect-1' and create an Alternate Display Page with Tool Kit redirect code.

Code:
    <mvt:if expr="'test-caregory-redirect' CIN s.request_uri EQ">
            <mvt:item name="toolkit" param="sassign|newurl|/seals-weatherproofing.html" />
        <mvt:item name="toolkit" param="headeroutput|Status|301 Moved Permanently" />
        <mvt:item name="toolkit" param="vheaderoutput|Location|g.newurl" />
    </mvt:if>
    This does work actually. Once. But then it seems to cache the target page because when I edited newurl and saved it keeps going back to the first one. I assume it is cached in memory.

So, does this sound like a good/bad thing to do and if it is okay how should I flush the cache or variable in memory?

This is low priority - just a feature would have liked but if this might work then it would be useful for a handful of these categories that are used in multiple places.

Thanks,

Burt
Working...
X