No PO boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No PO boxes

Where can I get instructions on how to implement the No shipping to PO Box feature in 9.0003

Thanks

Kevin
    www.automotiveworkwear.com

Re: No PO boxes

shipping > shipping method rules

select one - edit - first item in exclusions

Comment

Hey Thanks,

I found that part last night, my issue is inside "Shipping Method Rules" edit section.

I see a box that you can click that says "Exclude This Method when Shipping to a P. O. Box,
      This part I understand "check the box", however it what is below that is where I'm confused, All of my other shipping methods are show underneath. With pull down menus for each, with options of "Allow" , "Excludes", or "Excludes by". Are there options for the No PO box or for something else, if they are different, then MIVA could have done a better job separating them. I would have also liked a help section as to what goes with what, and what does "Allow" , "Excludes", or "Excludes by" if it pertains to the No PO box option. So, do I check the exclude po box and then exclude all other options.

Before you think I'm a total idiot, understand I cannot test this before I remove the custom Java script that I put on the OSEL page to stop a customer from entering a P.O. box. I want to remove what I put in, and go with more miva solutions.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comment

Kevin,

We ship Canada and USA.

So our:
        "Canada - Expedited Mail (7-10 days)" would be - "Allow" Restrict to These Countries: Canada.
        "USA - UPS (7-10 days)" would - "Allow" Restrict to These Countries: United States and no PO Box.

We have no state restrictions and exclude or allow depending on Canada or USA.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Hey Kevin -

The Excludes section is unrelated to the P.O Box functionality. That is for having one method exclude another method from showing up. The only settings for P.O Boxes is the checkbox which can be toggled on and off depending on if you want this shipping method to display if the customer enters in a P.O Box. for their Ship To address.
          Brennan Heyde
          VP Product
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

What we really need is a way to exclude a customer from using a PO box as a shipping address when setting up a customer account. This really doesn't handle this aspect, does it?

Comment

No this logic is only for determining which shipping methods get displayed.

There is some javascript you can add to our account create page to allow you to do what you're looking for.
              Brennan Heyde
              VP Product
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

Brennan,

You and I had talked about this months ago. The No PO box should work exactly as Gripper was stating. Excluding or preventing a customer from entering a P.O. Box, period. It sounds like if you click the exclude PO Box checkbox on all shipping methods then you would not have any shipping method shown........ is this too technically advance for miva programmers? Its hard to believe Viking coders (emedia sales) UPS custom integration is still a better shipping product after all these years...... Disappointing

Kevin

Comment

@gripper

So you're saying you allow some customers to ship to P.O Boxes and not others? Or is there something I'm missing.

If you just need the ability to exclude all customers from shipping to a P.O Box then that functionality is built in. You are correct, it does not prevent them from typing in a P.O Box when creating a customer account, or going through checkout. (You would need some JavaScript to do that) However, that is not how it was designed. It was designed to display an error message and prevent the customer from continuing if they did enter a PO box as their shipping address.

Here is how to set it up to it prevents P.O Boxes for all customers.

1. Go into shipping method rules and for each shipping method you offer, check the box to exclude p.o boxes.

2. Then under shipping settings, make sure you do not have a fallback shipping method setup.

3. Last, go to User Interface -> Error Messages and customize the "No Shipping Methods Available" error message to tell the customer they can't continue because they have a P.O Box in their shipping address.

The default error message looks like this:

"Shipping could not be calculated for your basket. This may be due to a network or configuration error, or the contents of your basket may not be able to be shipped in a single shipment."

Keep in mind this error will also display whenever no shipping methods are returned so if you used real-time rates like UPS and UPS was temporarily down, they would also get this same error message, which is why it is somewhat generic.

From the customers perspective, if they put in a P.O box, when they click continue on the customer information page, they would stay on that page and the error message you configured above would display. (See attachment as an example)
                  Attached Files
                  Brennan Heyde
                  VP Product
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Brennan, for the detailed work around.

Since we do use a fall back method in our shipping because we use viking coders UPS & FedEx modules for real time rate look up, we won't be able to use this, but will probably get professional svcs. to add the java code for us.

One of the things I appreciate about Miva is that the company is actively engaged at all levels to help us merchants deal with issues with our specific business rules. From my previous experience in e-cart software this is a very rare, and we appreciate the efforts of everyone at Miva in this regard.

Thanks again!

Comment

I just received an order with 'pob' in the address for a shipping method that doesn't allow PO Box. What do I have to do to prevent this in the future? Do I need to modify the code to include pob assuming it's not in it?

Comment

Hi Kit -

"pob" is not a valid abbreviation for a PO Box which is why Miva is not flagging it. Right now there is nothing you can do to add this variation to the built in PO Box filter. At some point in the future if we need to add the ability to add custom abbreviations to the filter list we may do so. For now, if you want to prevent this from happening again you would need to add some JavaScript validation or template code logic for that one use case.
                        Brennan Heyde
                        VP Product
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Hi folks -- sorry for the slow reply; my forum account has been broken for many weeks.

I've written a couple of modules for providing this type of restriction in a store. As Kit pointed out, some customers are pretty creative about trying different abbreviations, mis-spellings, etc. to get around the restriction. My modules have a text box where you can enter the specific words and phrases that you want to block. Anyone who's interested in this is welcome to contact me by email, so we can discuss it in detail.

Thanks --
                          Kent Multer
                          Magic Metal Productions
                          http://TheMagicM.com
                          * Web developer/designer
                          * E-commerce and Miva
                          * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
                          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Working...
                          X