Google Analytics & Alternate Display Templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics & Alternate Display Templates

I'm seeing odd behavior in Google Analytics where any page assigned to one of the alternate category templates we created are all showing in analytics (Behavior > Site Content > All Pages) as CTGY2.html instead of using the actual category page URL. Any category that uses the base CTGY template, those show up fine, but anything assigned to use CTGY2, shows up in analytics all bunched together under that single listing. Instead of showing the individual pages, it's just lumping all 20 or so of them into the templates code like so, /CTGY2.html

Anyone else see this before? I'm sure it's something stupid and simple to fix, and we use some sort of alternate template on just about every project and I've never seen this behavior before.
    Ted Hust
    AarcMediaGroup.com

Celebrating 13 Years of Outstanding Service & Support
    Miva Merchant Design

Re: Google Analytics & Alternate Display Templates

ALSO, should add I'm using the Tool Kit for the URL's. I suspect in the end that may in fact be the culprit, but I didn't want to go through the process of re-doing all of the URL's so they use the new URI system (nor make the client spring for it) until I saw if anyone else has ever seen this behavior before.
    Ted Hust
    AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

There are numerous variations of the Google Analytics snippet at this point, but at a high level you will need to alter the default tracking code to support the EP Tool Kit short links and the alternate templates. You can check against g.Screen or l.settings:page:code and alter the pageview url accordingly.

Wouldn't recommend making the transition to URI Management just to fix Google Analytics. We have had to make somewhat similar adjustments to the Google Analytics tracking snippet to support these features in certain cases as well, so it isn't a guaranteed fix either.
      Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 01-04-16, 08:14 PM.

Comment

This sounds like a bug that was fixed. Make sure you are on 9.0005. Regardless because you are using toolkit links you'll need to modify the Google Analytics code to pass your correct URLs for your store.

By default Miva uses:

ga( 'send', 'pageview', { 'page':'/<mvt:item name="ga_jsencode" param="ga_tracking:url_override_unencoded" />' } );

This only works if you are using Long Miva Links, Legacy SEO Settings or URI Management. If you have other custom links such as Toolkit (TKSL), Sebenza Ultimate SEO Links or Page Finder then the code above will need to be modified so that you pass the correct URL.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

Re: Google Analytics &amp; Alternate Display Templates

Brennan, if I switch him over to the new URI system, will that handle the problem for cases where he's using an alternate display template, meaning, with your new out-of-box system, would this just "work"?

I'm probably going to go ahead and do that anyway for him tomorrow, but just wanted to confirm.
          Ted Hust
          AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Yes the out of the box links will just work with Google Analytics.
            Brennan Heyde
            VP Product
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

Brennan,

I still think there is a bug here as we have discussed previously. Will reach out to you off-forum to discuss further.

Comment

Dan is correct, I did some more digging and there is still an open bug in GA. It does not properly output the url if using URI Management URLs. This will be fixed in 9.0006. In the mean time you'll have to explicitly output the correct URL for the screen that you are on.
                Brennan Heyde
                VP Product
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Does anyone know how to explicitly output the correct URL?
                  Trent Studios, LLC
                  Graphic Design, Website Design
                  TrentStudios.com
                  (970) 568-8652

Comment

Here is an example for doing a Lookup of Canonical URIs, see #9: http://docs.miva.com/v1.0/docs/uri-m...-documentation The Google Analytics tracking snippet needs to be customized using this method to obtain/pass the proper URI via pageview.

Comment

Working...
                    X