Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AdWords Tracking - Advanced Issue, Need Help

Good morning,

I have been having an issue with AdWords tracking for quite some time. I have paid multiple Miva developers to fix the situation, and it still exists. Somehow it is seeing a few conversions, but by the stats it cannot be close to the actual. I appreciate any help you can provide.

What's different about my site...

This website uses WordPress as a front end on one server and contains buttons with javascript to add products to the cart which is located on a different server. For example, when the user clicks an AdWords ad on Google they are sent to www.domain.com/page. The page contains a "buy now" button which has javascript to send them to shop.domain.com/miva/merchant.mvc which is housed on a different server and passes the product code and quantity. This works fine for purchasing and has been this way for 7+ years, but the tracking is having issues.

How I know the data is not correct...

71% of traffic is coming from paid ads, 69% of the clicks to the cart are coming from paid ads, but paid ads make up less than 10% of our sales based on AdWords and Analytics.

Direct, referral and organic traffic converts at over 5%. Paid traffic converts at 0.16%. The numbers just don't line up with this being 71% of our traffic.

The exact same product with the exact same keywords has over an 8% conversion rate on Amazon. I don't expect the site to reach that same conversion rate, but I included this to show the issue is not the keywords I'm buying, it's the data.

Our tracking shows more sales from direct and referral traffic than people that clicked to the cart from those same segments. It also shows almost every click to the cart from organic traffic is converting.

Analytics shows only 29% of people who click "buy now" are actually converting. This is way low compared to all other e-commerce sites I am involved with.

Where I'm at...

I need help. I cannot effectively purchase AdWords because it is impossible to tell which keywords and ads are converting without proper tracking.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

There use to be a function that you could add to your analytics script to track subdomains. It was something like _setDomain('yourdomian.com'). That was before Universal Analytics. I use Tag Manager and I know there is a settings there. You should look at your Analytics settings to make sure it allows cross domain tracking.
    http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

Thank you alphabet for the reply.

I checked our analytics code and I believe we have the correct line added to track subdomains...

_gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.domain.com']);

Note that this is actually set in a plugin in the WordPress side of the site and then included in the analytics code in the global footer in Miva.

In reviewing this code I noticed a line that we do not include that ignores self referrals.

_gaq.push(['_addIgnoredRef', '.domain.com']);

I'm not sure if this would help or not as the sales are not all being moved to referral sales from the stats I'm showing. They are being moved to direct, organic and referrals based on these numbers.

From analytics...

Paid Traffic: 71.47%
      Paid Sales: 9.87%

Direct Traffic: 6.59%
      Direct Sales: 28.33%

Organic Traffic: 20.08%
      Organic Sales: 52.79%

Referral Traffic: 1.86%
      Referral Sales: 9.01%

While referral sales show the greatest percentage increase of sales versus traffic, the actual number of sales is not enough to make up for the sales not being tracked. If you moved all of the referral sales to paid traffic it would still be under 20% of total sales with 70% of the traffic.

Comment

While the subdomain tracking is one component, it's going to take looking at the overall picture to get this resolved as there could be any number of factors preventing accurant data. Definitely something we could diagnose, please feel free to reach out to us.

Comment

Any additional help available? Anyone from Miva have anything to add?

I'm not in a rush to go to another developer because I've paid two already to handle this and it still does not work.

Comment

Still looking for guidance on this issue.

Comment

I am still looking for guidance on this issue. I would rather not just pay another developer at this point because I have paid two in the past to fix this and it is still broke.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any guidance from Miva?

Comment

Have you tried Google Tag Assistant, a chrome extension found in the Chrome store?

http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

Working...
                X