Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add to basket / update basket function: live site 4 seconds slower than dev site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add to basket / update basket function: live site 4 seconds slower than dev site

So we have an Ajax mini basket that keeps you on the product page when you add a product.

On our live site, it takes about 8 seconds to add to cart. On our dev site, it takes about 4 seconds to add to cart.

Also, the 'Update Quantity' function in the basket page is also faster on the dev site versus the live site.

I've been running a number of tests, like disabling any 3rd party items, making sure the dev site head tag, global h/f, javascript files, php files, page template etc. all match the live site.

The dev site is still faster after all of these tests.

One real difference that I can't seem to locate the origin of is that the live site basket page has about 200 lines of blank space before the <doctype> declaration when I view source.

In speed tests, the main time hog is in the 'connection' stage without any other more specific detail. Everything else loads similarly.

Has anyone had this particular problem before, or can anyone help me narrow down the possibilities? Could it be host related (even though both sites are on the same server)?

TIA
    Last edited by Jesse; 01-15-16, 07:26 AM.

When is the last time you cleared the expired baskets on the live store? We have seen this behavior with bloated basket tables in the database.
    Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 01-15-16, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      So we have an Ajax mini basket that keeps you on the product page when you add a product.

On our live site, it takes about 8 seconds to add to cart. On our dev site, it takes about 4 seconds to add to cart.

Also, the 'Update Quantity' function in the basket page is also faster on the dev site versus the live site.

I've been running a number of tests, like disabling any 3rd party items, making sure the dev site head tag, global h/f, javascript files, php files, page template etc. all match the live site.

The dev site is still faster after all of these tests.

One real difference that I can't seem to locate the origin of is that the live site basket page has about 200 lines of blank space before the <doctype> declaration when I view source.

In speed tests, the main time hog is in the 'connection' stage without any other more specific detail. Everything else loads similarly.

Has anyone had this particular problem before, or can anyone help me narrow down the possibilities? Could it be host related (even though both sites are on the same server)?

TIA

Whether 4 or 8 seconds, that is incredibly slow, so something is likely wrong, and it wouldn't be related to the server.

If it's hosted here, and it's as easy to reproduce as it sounds, there's a debug tool our support folks can run for you to produce a report on what factors contributed to the page load time. Here's a thread about it:

http://www.miva.com/forums/forum/onl...te-help-needed

You can actually perform the same debugging regardless of where it's hosted, but we can do it for you if it's here.
      David Hubbard
      CIO
      Miva
      [email protected]
      http://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Glendale Designs View Post
        When is the last time you cleared the expired baskets on the live store? We have seen this behavior with bloated basket tables in the database.

Thanks Dan, this was the issue.

Comment

Working...
        X