9.5 Digital Download from eMedia Softgoods Conversion Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.5 Digital Download from eMedia Softgoods Conversion Questions

We currently have two stores that have over 3,000 products each and use the eMedia Sales Softgoods module extensively to sell eBooks to our customers. I tried to upgrade one of our stores to 9.5 and received the message that the Digital Downloads and eMedia Softgoods modules conflict. So I have many questions about how to proceed. First - what is the conversion path to convert all of my products from eMedia Softgoods to the Digital Downloads solution? Is there a test environment I can go to test the Miva solution?
    Thank you.
    Linda

I believe they have an update to their module to resolve that conflict (it was a naming issue behind the scenes). You should check with them on that update.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

We are using emedia softgoods module 5.019. Are you saying that Miva fixed the naming issue and we can now upgrade and keep using our current softgoods module?

Comment

No the naming issue was on eMedia's side, you'll need their latest version to resolve it.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

So I have resolved that we have no choice but to move our downloads (47 GB equaling 184 files) to Amazon S3 and I am not in the process of setting up the downloads to work in a dev store. Emediasoftgoods module allowed me to manually send out a download, so I can test it or so I can manually send a download link to someone. I am not seeing anywhere that I can manually send out a link.

Am I missing this somewhere?

I would like to test my setup, before I take the time to update 184 products and find out that I may have done them wrong. Please respond ASAP as I am wanting to get these done as soon as possible so we don't keep getting that $50.00 a month non-compliance fee.

Comment

To retrigger Digital Download link:
            Click on the link "Order Emails" and then check the box "Digital Download Created." This will resent your customer their link to download their file.

If you run into issues testing this, please reply back to my PM with a good time and number to reach you.

Wayne
            Wayne Smith

Comment

Wayne, I just sent you a PM with my phone number.

I haven't tried yet, but since the Dev store is the same as our regular store, is it going to make me pay for the product before it sends me the download link?

We occasionally need to manually send a download link to someone that has not ordered a product - maybe a free product - that is larger than can be emailed in a file attachment. This is not going to work at all. We can't purchase a product with our credit card information and their contact information so the link will be sent to them.

Sometimes we need to resend to a different email address. Is there a way to change the customer's email address that we are resending the download to?

Comment

WRT testing with payment - you should check out our free Faux Order module. It lets you make a test order, and later delete the order so your accounting doesn't become unbalanced. The only people who can use it are those you specifically allow via IP address:
                http://www.phosphormedia.com/product/pm_fauxorder.html
                Gordon Currie
                Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                phosphormedia.com

Comment

I'm still using the eMedia module in my store, but I've looked into the new Miva module. You can generate a download code without making a purchase by going to the Digital Downloads tab on the product.Once there, click the + sign at the upper right. That gives you a modal box where you can set options for the download. Click Add, and you've created a link. Then choose to edit the new link you have created. You'll see the URL for the download on that modal box. You can copy-paste this into an email. It's not quite as easy as the option to send a code using the eMedia module, but it should work the same way.

And, for what it's worth, I second Gordon's comment. Get the Faux Order module. It's great, and the price is right!
                  Todd Gibson
                  Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

I did get the Faux Order module - Thank you! It is very helpful.

The built-in Miva digital download module does send an email to the customer with a 'click here' link to access the download but didn't show the download link on the page that the customer sees after submitting their order (their invoice). To get the link to show up as a downloadable link in the invoice, I had to go to the User Interface section and open the INVC page and scroll down to the Order Contents section and replace some code. This may help someone else:

On the INVC page in Order Contents template look for the following...

<mvt:if expr="l.settings:option:option_id">
                    &mvt:option:attr_code;: &mvt:option:opt_code;
                    <mvt:elseif expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:option:data">
                    &mvt:option:attr_code;: &mvt:option:data;
                    <mvt:elseif expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:option:data_long">
                    &mvt:option:attr_code;: &mvt:option:data_long;
                    <mvt:else>
                    &mvt:option:attr_code;
                    </mvt:if>

I replaced all of the code above with this:

<mvt:if expr="l.settings:option:option_id">
                    <small>&mvt:option:attr_prompt; <strong>&mvt:option:opt_prompt;</strong></small>
                    <mvt:elseif expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:option:data">
                    <mvt:if expr="( l.settings:option:attr_code EQ 'digitaldownload' ) AND ( NOT ISNULL l.settings:option:digital_download_url )">
                    <small><a href="&mvte:option:digital_download_url;" target="_blank">Digital Download</a></small>
                    <small>&mvt:option:attr_code;: <strong>&mvt:option:data;</strong></small>
                    <mvt:elseif expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:option:data_long">
                    <small>&mvt:option:attr_prompt; <strong>&mvt:option:data_long;</strong></small>
                    <small>&mvt:option:attr_prompt;</small>

Comment

Thanks, kwi_sky. I used that code and it worked great. Also happy to discover the Faux Order module. Thanks, Bruce!

I'm also searching for a way to put the download link in the customer order confirmation email. I'd rather they just get the link there instead of separate email for each download link they have ordered. Anyone know how to do that?
                      Matt E.
                      www.harpkit.com

Comment

Working...
                      X