USPS Online Rate Calculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USPS Online Rate Calculation

I'm working on getting live shipping rates going for my store. Mostly going well but still some inexplicable behaviors with the USPS rates.

I'm set up to pack by weight and have set max weights on all my boxes to 99 pounds. None of my products are over 99 pounds.

1. I have a box set up with dimensions 9.5 x 12.5 x .5 This should trigger the USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. I have a product with dimensions of 9 x 12 x 0 When I add this product to the cart and check for rates internationally, the Flat Rate Envelope option is listed but if I check domestic rates, it doesn't show up.

2. Internationally I can't seem to get a rate for any package with a length over 42". I know that is the max length for some countries (Australia, Phillipines), but the max length is 60" for shipping to countries like Japan, England, and Sweden. I know the packages don't excide the maximum Length + Girth. Can't figure out why a rate isn't being returned.

Would welcome any ideas...
    Matt E.
    www.harpkit.com

Besides the problem you have listed above, there is something weird going on with USPS rates in general. My last 4 orders were priority mail (not flat rate) and when I go into the USPS website to print the label the rate is different than what was given to the customer when they purchased the item. Nothing has changed in terms of weight for the items. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed but we are no longer getting a discounted shipping rate on the USPS website when we print the label online rather than going to the post office to buy the postage.

Is anyone else seeing a difference between the customer postage quoted on the order and the online postage when processing the actual mailing label?

Kathleen Steimle-Hermes
    , owner
    Miss Kate's Creations
    [email protected]
    www.misskatescreations.com

Handcrafted fabric covered photo albums, frames, brag books and MORE

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Kate View Post
      Besides the problem you have listed above, there is something weird going on with USPS rates in general. My last 4 orders were priority mail (not flat rate) and when I go into the USPS website to print the label the rate is different than what was given to the customer when they purchased the item. Nothing has changed in terms of weight for the items. I don't know whether anyone else has noticed but we are no longer getting a discounted shipping rate on the USPS website when we print the label online rather than going to the post office to buy the postage.

Is anyone else seeing a difference between the customer postage quoted on the order and the online postage when processing the actual mailing label?
      Have you tried printing USPS labels w/in the admin interface? Is there a particular reason why you print at USPS instead of w/in the admin?
      Jim McCormick
      Miva Merchant Support
      866-284-9812

https://www.miva.com

Comment

To be honest, I didn't know you could print the label inside interface. The amounts have always matched previously when I go to the USPS website to print the label.

Kathleen Steimle-Hermes
        , owner
        Miss Kate's Creations
        [email protected]
        www.misskatescreations.com

Handcrafted fabric covered photo albums, frames, brag books and MORE

Comment

Getting back around to some more testing and it looks like USPS rejects any package with a length over 42" domestic or international. Has anybody else confirmed this to be true?

The problem is that his length restriction doesn't exist in the real world except for certain countries. Is this error happening at the USPS end or on Miva's end?
          Matt E.
          www.harpkit.com

Comment

Hi Matt

When testing USPS I still get rates for the Media Mail and Library Mail with a package of WxLwH = 10"x50"x10".

What shipping methods do you have active for the USPS module?
            Eric Foresman
            Software Tester
            Miva Merchant
            http://www.mivamerchant.com/
            [email protected]

Comment

Hi Eric,

Domestically I've got First Class Parcel, PM Flat Rate Envelope, Priority Mail, and Priority Mail Express. Internationally I have Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope, Priority Mail Priority Mail Express. I can't use Media or Library Mail for the products I have with the larger dimensions.

I use the pack by weight setting. I've got boxes set up the same sizes as all my products and each box has a max weight of 99 pounds.
              Matt E.
              www.harpkit.com

Comment

Hi Matt

I am also able to reproduce what you are seeing, once the length of the package is over 42” USPS stops sending anything other than Media Mail and Library Mail back in the response.

I have looked at the USPS package requirements and API documentation and can see no reason for the rates to be missing.

So in answer to your second question I looks like the error is on the USPS side of things.

Hope this helps

-Eric
                Eric Foresman
                Software Tester
                Miva Merchant
                http://www.mivamerchant.com/
                [email protected]

Comment

Well at least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong...

Thanks for checking it out.
                  Matt E.
                  www.harpkit.com

Comment

Working...
                  X