Google Analytics stops working on PROD without related_products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Analytics stops working on PROD without related_products

I just discovered something interesting about the Google Analytics module, and I'm wondering if someone can give me some insight.

We decided to use 4-Tell for product recommendations, so I unassigned the related_products item from my PROD page template since it's unnecessary. However, once I did that, my Google Analytics code stopped working. Specifically, the variable l.settings:ga_tracking:google_id_unencoded quit working. I pulled up the LSK to check the code and sure enough, the Google Analytics module initialization function stops if related_products isn't assigned and enhanced ecommerce tracking is enabled. Aside from just putting my Google ID directly into the template code, is there a way around this? Also, why does this function that way?

On a related note, the l.settings:product_link_prefix variable is returning a non-SEO-friendly URL that has no relationship to my URI settings. I guess it's set up to work with the old SEO URL settings? Should that just be replaced with the canonical URI to the current page?

Thanks,
    Josh

Can't speak to the related product item issue as I don't have it noted in our internal docs, but it definitely sounds like a bug. The old style dynamic urls being passed when URI Management is enabled is a known/verified bug. Miva has stated it will be resolved in 9.6.

Comment

Thanks, Dan. That's helpful. I definitely would like to see the related_products issue sorted out. You can imagine my surprise when our website traffic supposedly took a 60% hit overnight, and it really surprised me when this ended up being the culprit. At least our traffic wasn't REALLY down.

Comment

Thanks, Dan. That's helpful. I definitely would like to see the related_products issue sorted out. You can imagine my surprise when our website traffic supposedly took a 60% hit overnight, and it really surprised me when this ended up being the culprit. At least our traffic wasn't REALLY down.
        With those findings I would defintiely keep that related product item assigned, even if they are not in use/displayed. If for whatever reason you can't wait for 9.6 on the old style dynamic url issue, it can be resolved by customizing the tracking code with URI lookup functions.

Comment

Well, I just hard-coded our Google Analytics ID into the tracking code template for now. Not ideal, but everything's reporting normally again. I'm less worried about the dynamic URLs. Bigger fish to fry :). Thanks for your help.

Comment

It is odd that just the Google Analytics ID fails with that.

Comment

The module checks for related_products before a handful of settings variables are assigned, and that just happens to be the only one that is used on product pages. So it's not just that one thing.

Comment

Is this 3rd party mod the only analytics available for Miva? Does Miva have any built-in analytics tools that I'm missing? I notice that analytics like cart abandonment rates, etc are native features in other shopping carts that I'm evaluating but this module is the only analytics tools I can find for Miva.

Also, it's not clear on the "apps" page...is this $19.99 per month or a one-time app fee?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light for me. Thank you!

Comment

This thread is actually about Miva's built-in Google Analytics module, which doesn't cost anything extra. It's been standard for a while, probably since the Miva 9 releases. Google Analytics provides all of the data you've specifically mentioned here, and using the enhanced e-commerce analytics features provides a ton of insights.

As far as built-in reporting goes, the software offers nothing that I've ever thought was worth using, and it's generally considered to be terrible. Miva has promised to fix this at some point, but it seems like what's currently there might be 10 years old.

Comment

Working...
                  X