Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paypal as only payment gateway an option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paypal as only payment gateway an option?

I am getting really tired of all the costs and hassles of being PCI compliant for our credit card provider. I think ( correct me if I am wrong ) that if we only use Paypal that we will not need to supply them with all the PCI info and the costs to do so. So my question is what is the downsides of only using Paypal? Thanks for your thoughts on this subject!
    http://www.invinciblemusic.com

Customers don't always know that they can use a credit card and don't need a PayPal account when using PayPal. On top PayPal pushes the customer to create one and this in a confusing way which makes it look like you should/must do it. So you'll potentially loose a lot of orders by customers not wanting to use PayPal. So my 2 cents, offer all the options you can incl. Amazon.
    Miva will make you be compliant anyway if your payment gateway is asking for another compliance test and charging a fee for it, contact Miva. I think that's not right.
    Andreas Toman
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com
    LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
    phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

Originally posted by InvincibleRecordings View Post
      I am getting really tired of all the costs and hassles of being PCI compliant for our credit card provider. I think ( correct me if I am wrong ) that if we only use Paypal that we will not need to supply them with all the PCI info and the costs to do so. So my question is what is the downsides of only using Paypal? Thanks for your thoughts on this subject!
      Currently (April 2016), there are a few options to eliminate the hassle, each with pros and cons:

1) If you use a Chase merchant account combined with any PayPal Payflow gateway, you won't have to deal with the PCI stuff.
      2) If you use ANY merchant account combined with the PayPal *HOSTED* gateway, which means Hosted Payflow Pro or Payflow Link, you won't have to deal with the PCI stuff. The reason is that hosted payflow pro uses an iframe during checkout so the card entry box is hosted by PayPal, not your site, so it looks the same to a customer but you never touch the card. Payflow Link has the customer leave the site and come back, like traditional PayPal, but without the account.
      3) If you use traditional account-based PayPal or Amazon, since both of those have the customer leave the site and come back after paying.

An upcoming option that will be even better, in our opinion, will be our MivaPay product, due out later this year. It will be a hosted payment solution, PCI certified, that will work with any payment gateway currently supported by Miva Merchant. The payment entry box will be iframe'd like some of the above options, so during checkout, it looks the same to the shopper, but they'll be submitting their card to our payment system instead of your store. Your store handles the transaction with a token, so it never sees the card, yet you retain the ability to auth, delay capture, real time capture, partial refund, etc. just like if you had the card number. It will be PCI certified, so if your merchant account provider requires it, you fill out nothing more than the SAQ A which is a few questions, the most critical of which being one asking you if you ever touch the card number, which you say no to, and all the problems go away.

Side benefits of MivaPay include a card wallet for repeat shoppers, recurring billing if desired, order subscriptions, etc.
      David Hubbard
      CIO
      Miva
      [email protected]
      http://www.miva.com

Comment

You can also use PayPal as a traditional processor and avoid the PCI issues. You'd want to sign up for any of these options:

PayPal Payments Advanced
        PayPal Payments Pro

and our new MivaPay product will handle that as well.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

If you spend much time on this forum you will notice that a large percent of the posts are about problems with PayPal. I don't trust PayPal or Amazon with my customer credit card data or the exploitable metadata about customer buying habits, product pricing and best sellers. There are good reasons why big retailers don't accept these payment methods.

We only take online orders (no card present or telephone orders) and we don't keep credit card numbers. This makes PCI somewhat easier because we can answer most of the questionnaire questions with: "We never see or store customer credit card numbers". It also gets us better card processing rates for our merchant account.

Miva has been really good about running interference for us on the monthly PCI scans. If a scan fails, Miva support always has the answers to get it fixed.
          Bill Dunn
          SunCam, Inc.
          http://www.SunCam.com
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by InvincibleRecordings View Post

I get the 'hassle' part of PCI compliance, but what are the 'costs' you are referring to? Miva keeps you in compliance simply by making sure you are up to date (which you should be anyway.) And any local PC issues they require is actually good practice anyway to ensure your computer doesn't get hacked.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Some merchant providers (specifically First Data and their ISO's) are really bad about forcing PCI fees upon people, even if they can prove compliance.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]
              https://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
              X