Product Variants, Need a Little Guidance Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Variants, Need a Little Guidance Please

I need a little guidance for setting up new & numerous products with variants.

I tested it out by setting up a new product manually in the admin, then added a few variants. I saw that the variants are basically just another product set up in the catalog. Armed with that info, these are my questions:
    1. Can the variants be set up by importing?
    2. If so, how are they "connected" to the master product?
    3. Should I set up the master products first, then in a second wave set up the variants? Or do them all at the same time?
    4. Can UPS Custom Integration shipping settings be used on the variants?
    5. Can the variants be placed in a category so I can set the UPS Custom Integration settings for a collection of variants in one place?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Stephens; 04-29-16, 12:35 PM.

I've watched this video tutorial, but my questions still stand.
    http://www.miva.com/videos/store_own...ntory-variants

I would appreciate any help. Please see my questions above. Thanks

Comment

I'll answer the ones I know but some are assumptions that somethings have not changed. Yes variants can be put into whatever categories you want.
      What is UPS Custom Integration? (The viking module?) I doubt it was ever set up to use variant weight and sizes.

PR8 Update 9 introduced an import module that I have never truly experimented with. "Variant Import Module The previously released Variant Import module is now part of the standard distribution. This module allows Product, Attribute, Option, Product Variant and Product Kit information to be imported from a single delimited text file."
      Page 369 and beyond
      http://www.miva.com/pdf/MivaV9_03-31-16.pdf

Mark Hood
      Vermont Gear

Comment

Cool. Thanks. When in doubt, read the instructions! I forgot about the documentation PDF.

As for UPS, yes that's the Viking module. Since you can actually configure the settings either by product, by category, or for the entire store with the module, I am wondering if the product level settings will "work" on the variant. I'll test and see.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
        X