Using a batch report to export order data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a batch report to export order data

I'm trying to use a template based report to export order data and that works ok but the only inputs I know (not a coder) export the file as a csv file. I'm trying to automate the handling of the file and it would be easier if it was a xls or Excel file. Is this possible? I'm attaching a file showing the HTTP headers I'm using. I'm assuming these have to be changed but I don't know the options available. Batch_template_output.JPG
    Thanks,
    Chet Vincentz
    [email protected]

www.electrodyne.cc Quality Motoring Accessories
    www.racdyn-usa.com BMW, MINI & Porsche performance
    www.artisticartifacts.com Creative art materials

Possibly, but it is going to take a bit of research. Excel has an XML format you can output files in and then you can modify the headers to rename the file and extension. However, tyypically a csv file is going to be much easier format to work with (and can be opened by Excel)

What are you ultimately trying to do?
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

I am trying to download order data from Miva and import these orders into our company computer system. I can import order data from Excel but each time I have a .csv file I have do a import into Excel. I doing some of this with macros and was trying to save the "importing into Excel steps" which I haven't incorporated into my macros. I don't see any improvement in using XML formats based up on comments.
      Thanks,
      Chet Vincentz
      [email protected]

Comment

Yea, creating a csv that will automatically open in Excel isn't easy as you have to use an actual 'comma' separator and escape all commas (and Quotes) using quotes and then add quotes around each field exported.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

I had someone help me writing this and we used a pipe as a delimiter. But it still requires you to go through all the import steps
          Thanks,
          Chet Vincentz
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by chetv View Post
            I had someone help me writing this and we used a pipe as a delimiter. But it still requires you to go through all the import steps
            Yes, Character Separate Value files can be imported, but for some reason,not opened by Excel. You might try Open Office's spread sheet solution. I think I recall that they are a bit more flexible. But, if you want to open a csv file in excel automatically, the fields (columns) need to look like:

"field one","field two, "field with "," comma", "field with """quote",
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Is there any way to automatically export orders using the Miva data system on a regular basis and putting in the export folder? Say when a new order comes in or every hour? I'm just trying to consider alternate ways to export orders that go through Miva.
              Thanks,
              Chet Vincentz
              [email protected]

Comment

If you're on Professional or Above plan wise, our Enterprise Tools can automate any of that.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Rick, thanks. That is good to know. We will have to grow significantly to be able to join that group. I assume there are addition ways for software developers to connect with Miva - like people who offer ship manger software or order processing software. We have a very elaborate corporate software system that runs the entire company. Unfortunately we developed it since 1980 and have been struggling to incorporate the web front end. We have used Miva for the last 15 years but can't quite come to grips with order transfer integration. Mainly we can't get the order information out of Miva in some format we can use - even something as simple as Excel.
                  Thanks,
                  Chet Vincentz
                  [email protected]

Comment

Yeah there's a number of ways to do it.
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]

Comment

If you are running into issues open your csv file in excel, in the next engine 5.24 coming out soon there is a built in function called miva_escape_csv which will automatically encode your data in a csv format.

http://docs.miva.com/docs/template-f...ngineFunctions

This should help with the problems you're having. Miva Batch Reports can output data in any format you need. There is no reason you should not be able to integrate the two systems.
                      Brennan Heyde
                      VP Product
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

Brennan,
                        Thak certainly looks interesting and seems to solve a couple of issues many of us have been having export various items. I think this next update is scheduled for the end of June which is very reasonable.

As an aside I have been playing with this export page Bill Weiland posted some time ago. I get it to work ok but there are 2 issues with it. (I don't know the proper etiquette for posting a lengthy code so I attached it as a text document link.)

Thanks,
                        Chet Vincentz
                        [email protected]

Comment

I didn't mean to post as yet

1) the export works fine, gives you an .xls file in the export directory.
                          2) The program was written prior to Miva adding marketplaces and it doesn't pick up our orders from Ebay and Amazon. Don't know or how to change code to find these orders. I guess the script runs but doesn't see these imported orders.
                          3) No payment information is available. I assume this because it is not in the order file and was prior to PCI compliance regulations changing.

Maybe someone who know coding a lot better than I can comment for educational purposes. I'm prepared to wait the update Brennan referenced.
                          Attached Files
                          Thanks,
                          Chet Vincentz
                          [email protected]

Comment

Have you considered exporting orders using XML. Maybe the XML could be imported directly into your company's computer system? The XML export of orders from Miva should be relatively easy for a Miva custom coder to do.
                            Last edited by wajake41; 05-08-16, 07:51 PM.
                            Larry
                            Luce Kanun Web Design
                            www.facebook.com/wajake41
                            www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Working...
                            X