Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Miva have a function to validate a credit card number and it's card type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Miva have a function to validate a credit card number and it's card type?

Hello forum:
    We are getting declined credit card charges on OPAY because the customer is choosing the wrong credit card type on OSEL for the credit card number entered on OPAY.

I would like to add an edit to OPAY which determines if the credit card number is correct for the type of credit card selected.
    At the same time I would also like to verify the credit card number entered against it's check digit (Luhn algorithm).

Does Miva have a function that can do this for us on OPAY?
    Cheers, Larry
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

I suppose there is a good reason for it but for the life of me I can't understand why it is necessary for customers to select a credit card type. The first two digits of the credit card number identifies the type so why ask? Seems like an unnecessary tripwire for a successful transaction and an extra step in checkout.
    Bill Dunn
    SunCam, Inc.
    http://www.SunCam.com
    [email protected]

Comment

Hello SunCam: I agree. You are correct. We are losing sales because the customer is choosing the wrong payment card on OSEL.

To help prevent this,I have now added a javascript edit to OPAY (on page submission) to prevent OPAY page submission when this occurs (wrong card type for the card number they have entered).
      I would like to improve on this by eliminating the selection of the card type on OSEL, by instead just having 3 radio buttons there for payment: PayPal, credit card, and debit card (we already require entry of the card type: credit/debit on the OPAY page for our merchant confirmation email). Then determine the card type on OPAY from the payment card number that is entered there.
      But I do not know if Miva processing between OSEL and OPAY requires the payment card type. If that is not the case and I hope someone on the forum can let me know if card type is needed, I will make this additional change to OSEL and OPAY.

Hope someone can advise on the possibility of doing this.

Cheers, Larry.
      Last edited by wajake41; 07-08-16, 09:43 PM.
      Larry
      Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

We don't distinguish between debit and credit cards and we don't accept PayPal so we skip that step altogether. Not sure why you need to know if it is a debit card. I would like it if we could also skip the step about asking the credit card type.
        Bill Dunn
        SunCam, Inc.
        http://www.SunCam.com
        [email protected]

Comment

You can use a jQuery or Javascript routine (there are tons of examples on the web) to populate the PaymentMethod hidden field on OPAY based on Card Number entered. For OSEL, all you need to distinguish the Radio options are PayPal (just copy the existing values) and any ONE of the Credit card options. (i.e., Amex, even if you don't take it, you'll be changing that value via js on the OPAY screen).

As for debit/credit, there is no distinguishing number sequence as most cards are both.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Hello SunCam: Determining the credit card type on OPAY is quite easy if it's done via JavaScript on OPAY <form> submission. Just stuff the card type into the DOM before submission.
            We are going in this direction if we get a reading from Miva that the selection of card type can be removed from the OSEL page.

We need to know card type credit/debit for order cancellations. A debit card payment is captured when the order is completed, a credit card is only authorized at that time. Capture of a credit card payment is done when the product is shipped, Cancellation of a debit card order requires a refund to the customer, a credit card does not. At least that's what our financial folks tell me.
            Cheers, Larry
            Larry
            Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Hello Bruce: Thanks for the feedback. Looks like we can proceed with assigning the card type in OPAY.
              For debit/credit designation, we rely on the customer entering that. Definitely not fool proof but finance says they want it anyway.
              Larry
              Larry
              Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

I'd bet that simply making Visa the default option would lower the failure/mismatch rate. Mine used to have AMEX as the default and changing it made a huge impact.
                Keith Oratz
                PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Keitho, We spoke with PayPal, our gateway, and they said the majority of card failures was due to the wrong selection of the card type.
                  Actually we have Visa as the selected radio button. Possibly leaving the card type unselected on OSEL and using Javascript to edit that the customer must choose one of the card types before OSEL submission would help.
                  However we are going to eliminate the card selection entirely and determine it from the card number entered on OPAY.

Incidentally the Order->Authorization Failure tab has high lighted how much of a problem this is for us! Nice to have that feature installed on our sites.
                  Larry
                  Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

I'm just pulling my site into 9.0005 and look forward to adding the built-in safety features. I had to pump-up our Gateway Filters when we started having rampant testing on our site. It was hitting 200+ per hour some days. Setting the filter to decline orders coming from IP addresses where the country didn't match that of the shipping address stopped them dead in their tracks.
                    Keith Oratz
                    PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                    www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Had the same happening on our site. It is because the Suivant theme has the credit card icons and puts an outline around the one selected. People just must not notice that. I changed the default css a little bit to show the radio box above the icon. This has helped quite a bit. In the long run it would be nice to eliminate the need to choose the card type.
                      Highly caffeinated
                      http://www.coffeehouseexpress.com

Comment

Working...
                      X