Product Attribute Template to pass job code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Attribute Template to pass job code

Startime is a wholesale watch parts distributor; we've had numerous requests from our larger customers to provide job codes for each product. I was directed by Miva to try Product Attributes as the mechanism-- which seems like a good way to do it. I don't want to use the Product Attributes (assigned to each product) as that would add an additional step for each customer for every product-- a really bad idea! Is there a way to use the Product Attribute Template on the PROD page to allow a text field input (if they wanted to use it) that would be available as data on their order? Any ideas? Nothing in the Documentation that gives much to go on.
    Scott Bronstad
    Marketing
    Star Time Supply, Co. Inc.
    http://store.startimesupply.com

If you need the Code to track with each product (line item in basket). Attributes are the only way to go. You might be able to get away with just using a text field and call it "notes" or something generic.
    If its by order, use an custom order field
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

It's by line item... Item "A" goes with job 1, Item "B" goes with Job 2, Item "C" goes with Job 1, Item "D" goes with job 3, etc.

Bruce, are you saying we have to go the product-level route? If that's the case, I won't "go" that way. If it can happen in-line with an product being ordered (without the page jump) that's the only way this can work; otherwise, we're going to get killed with customer complaints to make a few customers happy-- not a good trade.

If there's a way to "gitterdone" I'd love the "how-to"
      Scott Bronstad
      Marketing

Comment

Well, one could do this at the basket level using the custom basket fields. For each product, show a prompt for this code, then use that data (on a form post or page transition) to populate a custom basket field with the product line id added to it. Convert to Custom Order field at the end.

Doable, but not with forum posts :)
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

We're looking into developing a custom module (in house) to handle... sounds like that's the way to go.
          Scott Bronstad
          Marketing

Comment

Working...
          X