X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse roller and state <select>

Hello forum:
    Has anyone encountered this?
    We are having a significant number of address errors in checkout because customers are using their mouse roller on OCST while the state selection has focus. This causes the state to change so that when the order is completed, the shipping &/or billing address has a state that is incorrect for the zip code entered. For instance yesterday, an order for zip code 08230 (New Jersey) had the state of Florida on the order. The same thing happened today for an order for Michigan that had the state of Missouri as the Ship To state.

I hope there is a solution for this, as just today I checked out through the Miva store and while on OCST, I was unable to reproduce the problem. What does Miva know that I don't? Well I know it's a lot but I'd sure like to know what they know about preventing this. ;)'

I spent a considerable time yesterday attempting to disable the mouse roller on OCST via JS, entirely without success.
    Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks, Larry-
    Last edited by wajake41; 07-28-16, 02:20 PM.
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Actually I was wrong about the Miva store not having this issue. Went back and tried it again. There, if I select a state and then keep my mouse pointer on the selected state and then use my mouse roller, a different state is selected when I move my mouse pointer away from the state <select>.
    Does anyone have a work-a-round for this? It's causing us a lot of problems.
    Thanks, Larry
    Last edited by wajake41; 07-28-16, 02:20 PM.
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

The behavior of the mouse wheel may vary depending on what browser or computer the customer is using.

There are some 3rd-party address-validation services that probably work to catch these errors.

It's also possible to write a small module that has a DB table of Zip code ranges by state, so it can check this. A quick Google search turned up this reference page:
      [url]http://www.stevemorse.org/jcal/zip.html,/url]
      Looking at the first three digits of the Zip code, there are about 200 different ranged assigned to the 50 states. Not a huge amount of data to deal with. If you (or anyone else) are interested in a module for this, you can drop me a line to discuss it in detail.

Thanks --
      Kent Multer
      Magic Metal Productions
      http://TheMagicM.com
      * Web developer/designer
      * E-commerce and Miva
      * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Something is allowing focus to stay on the State select area. You'd probably want to go through with some JS/jQuery debuggers and see. You didn't mention what ready theme you where using, but I've never seen that behavior on any of the Miva supplied themes, so maybe an easier debug technique is to one by one, disable any other JS/jQuery on that page.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

I think this is a behavior of the browser. Happens on IE and Edge, not on Chrome, Safari, or FF.
          We are adding a JS edit to the state/zip code on submit of OCST. We'll let the customer to continue to OSEL without changing the state/zip code or return to OCST so they can modify the state/zip code.
          Hope this will help alleviate this problem.
          Cheers, Larry
          Larry
          Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Just because something happens on one browser verses another doesn't necessarily mean it's the default behavior of the browser. More likely its how the browser is handling (or not handling) some other js/jQuery event/function. It's always bad methodology to apply a patch to something where you are not sure what the problem is. It generally just creates a bigger problem farther down the line.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
            X