Setting Up Goals/Funnels in Google Analytics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Up Goals/Funnels in Google Analytics

Google Analytics Goals/Funnels was not setup right after we migrated our store to M9 last December, so we lost the opportunity to capture all that data -frustrating!

Anyway, I have taken it upon myself to fix it on my own, but I need some clarification.

According to MIVA Docs How To Guides for "Google Analytics Tutorial" these are the checkout pages I should track:

Which in our M9 Levels ReadyThemes store are named:

Basket: /shopping.html
    Customer information: /checkout-customer-information.html
    Shipping Information: /checkout-special-offers.html
    Payment information: /checkout-payment-information.html
    Invoice: /invoice.html

The problem that I am concerned with is that I am not sure if its correct and/or even a good idea to track the Basket page a good idea.

Here is why:
    1. Depending on how a shopper adds each items to cart they may and/or not be redirected to Basket page. Thus not having a consistent checkout process among all shoppers, which for analytical tracking purposes I don't think it would be a good idea.
    2. Shouldn't the Goal/Funnel tracking start at the checkout page (e.g.: Sign-in, Create Account, As Guest)?

Just a thought.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

Yes, that's a good question. I have the BASK page as the first in my checkout funnel, and I'm not sure that I really like it. The way my site is configured, all users who add a product to their basket get taken to the BASK page, so I don't have your issue #1 above. But I prefer to see funnel conversion rate expressed as the percentage of people who complete who start the checkout process, and I don't consider adding a product to the basket as starting the checkout process. So when I look at my funnel, I manually recalculate that. The upside to having BASK as the first page is that you can see how many people who put something in a basket never start the checkout process.

So really, it's up to you. How you want to see and report your data. But given your issue #1, you may never get a full count of people who add a product to the basket, so you might be better off leaving that out.
    Todd Gibson
    Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

Originally posted by oliverands View Post
      Yes, that's a good question. I have the BASK page as the first in my checkout funnel, and I'm not sure that I really like it. The way my site is configured, all users who add a product to their basket get taken to the BASK page, so I don't have your issue #1 above. But I prefer to see funnel conversion rate expressed as the percentage of people who complete who start the checkout process, and I don't consider adding a product to the basket as starting the checkout process. So when I look at my funnel, I manually recalculate that. The upside to having BASK as the first page is that you can see how many people who put something in a basket never start the checkout process.

So really, it's up to you. How you want to see and report your data. But given your issue #1, you may never get a full count of people who add a product to the basket, so you might be better off leaving that out.
      Maybe you might want to consider creating more than one Goals/Funnel in GA, one with BASK and one without BASK.
      Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Now why hadn't I thought of that?!?!
        Todd Gibson
        Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

Originally posted by oliverands View Post
          Now why hadn't I thought of that?!?!
          Could you please let me know how it went?
          Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I never could get goal funnels to work no matter how many ways I tried it. Always wondered if something is missing in the how-to guide. Have others gotten it to work?

Comment

Originally posted by srmb View Post
              I never could get goal funnels to work no matter how many ways I tried it. Always wondered if something is missing in the how-to guide. Have others gotten it to work?
              Which version of MIVA you are on, and can you please post a screenshot of Google Analytics Goal/Funnel's; Goal setup, Goal Description, Goal details, along with your the name of the framework you are using and the names of checkout pages?
              Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

With the numerous short link and Google Analytics integration methods, versions, bugs etc., almost every store is different when it comes to Goal/Funnel setup. With all of the Google Analytics integrations we have done over the years, we usually had to make some tweaks and adjustments to meet the specific needs of the store. (this can be independent of theme/framework) The key is to look at the url formats being passed within the actual tracking code specific to the store in question, first to see if it matches the store and their are no issues, second to determine properl goal step configuration.

Comment

Working...
                X