Moogle Stopped working. Is Moogle EOL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moogle Stopped working. Is Moogle EOL?

We have a bunch of stores. The Moogle module stopped lost the order # and stopped working on 2 but the rest still work. Is Moogle now End of Life or should I just put in a ticket to get it resolved. I could not find any links to Moogle module anymore. We updated the store to the latest version but that did not help.

OK, so now that I have upgraded my store to the latest version, I was able to actually use the newer built-in sitemap in Marketing > Feeds. I see you can exclude specific pages,but how can I exclude specific products? We have thousands of products that we discontinue (through a custom field), but we keep them active so Google doesn't complain? How do we exclude select products? I did not see a page template list you do with the product listing that I could tie into.

Comment

I'm not sure if the built in system runs the standard Product List array, but you could try using a IF on the custom field.?

As for Moogle, it's still supported at this time, but we no longer offer it for free on apps.miva.com as miva now has this feature somewhat built in. We may consider re-releasing it (as a paid module) if we get enough requests for it.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

I'm not sure if the built in system runs the standard Product List array, but you could try using a IF on the custom field.?
        I think the issue here is that the built-in feed feature doesn't expose the associated templates to hinge a condition when it is set to Sitemap Protocol, which is kind of a bummer for this very reason.

Comment

Well, you can always just start with a Product List page :)
          Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Well, you can always just start with a Product List page :)
            Agreed, or start a new template based feed, unfortunately neither of those methods tie into the Sitemap settings, nor are they a quick/easy solution for most users. Ideally those templates would get exposed, along with adding further exclusion options.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Glendale Designs View Post

Agreed, or start a new template based feed, unfortunately neither of those methods tie into the Sitemap settings, nor are they a quick/easy solution for most users. Ideally those templates would get exposed, along with adding further exclusion options.
              Hence our pondering of re-releasing Moogle. Install, click Create :)
              Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

What about assigning the products you have hidden via a custom field to a Availability Group. Them in the Feed Output you can select you want all Available products which will give you all products not in an availability group.
                Brennan Heyde
                VP Product
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

The issue for us is that we still want to display these products (we set a "nofollow" tag on discontinued products, then deactivate after several months. We hide the Add to cart function as well). This is in hopes of appeasing the Google gods to avoid 404 errors.

Comment

This is in hopes of appeasing the Google gods to avoid 404 errors.
                    Sorry if I take this thread into outer space here, but we have this discussion a lot with clients and you are not necessarily appeasing Google by eliminating or not having any 404s. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tz7Eexwp_A) Unfortunately I think there is a lot of misinformation on this topic driven by the way Google Console (Webmaster Tools) reports 404s as errors and the number of "SEOs/Articles" out there still recommending the elimination of 404s, even if they are legitimate, at all costs.

Ultimately 404s are perfectly normal and appropriate for items or content that are truly discontinued. If there is a direct replacement, then a 301 redirect would be the correct course of action, but otherwise if the particular item or content will never be available again, a nicely optimized 404 page is most likely going to drive better engagement or results.

The debate often comes up regarding retention of any external link benefits to the discontinued products or content, however these benefits often get nulified anyways due to higher bounce rates often generated by discontinued product landing pages.
                    Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 03-14-17, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Dan,

Thank you for the feedback on this. This is something we have been struggling with for some time as we have 10's of thousands of products that get discontinued on a regular basis. So it sounds like we just need to pretty up our NOT Found page and start deactivating these things, is that the general consensus? If so, that would certainly take care of our issue.

Comment

Pro Tip: Turn your Not Found page into a search results page and use whatever url input you can to pre-feed the search. For example,

somedomain.com/impact-hammer-drill.html.

Strip the domain from the URI, parse out the hyphens and load search with "impact hammer drill"...violia! they are now at least looking at something close to what they wanted. (of course include the search box so they can refine the search.
                        Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the Pro Tip! Now can you help me with my wicked slice?

Comment

So it sounds like we just need to pretty up our NOT Found page and start deactivating these things, is that the general consensus?
                            Now can you help me with my wicked slice?
                            I doubt you will get any sort of concesus or definitive answer on this specific to your situation.

My main point above is that you are not necessarily appeasing the Google gods by eliminateing or not having 404s, which is like tossing someone in a volcano to prevent floods. If you have ever read any of my SEO rants on these forums, I tend to push research and analysis in order to make educated decisions because one size almost never fits all. With that, the following is really the best advise I can give you not having any concept of your business or store.

Take a look at this Google Console doc, which lays this all out very well. (https://support.google.com/webmaster...errors#url_404) Apply your particular discontinued products to the definitions and possible actions outlined to see where they fit, considering 404s, 301 redirects and leaving them as they are. (some research/digging may be required) If you do this the answers to your question should present themselves, specific to your needs. You may even find some of these products need to be treated differently with the others falling into the same bucket.
                            Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 03-15-17, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X