On site searchable product vs Search Engine searchable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On site searchable product vs Search Engine searchable question

We are updating our website using the Levels theme. Our current website we use power search and tag discontinued products with <!-- miva_nodisplay //-->. This made these products non-searchable on our website, but it allowed Search Engines to still index the items and include them in the SE results.
    Are the any alternative/better methods to accomplish this now? Or just reset back up Power Search? I read that a new search will be included in the new update of Miva. When is that due out and will something like this be included? I am excited about the built in proposed faceted search with this update, but if we implement Power Search just for the no-show of discontinued products, I'm guessing we won't be able to use the updated MIVA search if something like this is not included.

Anyone have any idea's about this? I know others use Power Search with <!-- miva_nodisplay //--> to make products non-searchable within Miva. I would rather use the standard search or new coming search in the future update, but we have hundreds of discontinued items we do not want showing up in searches within our site...

Comment

Why do you still have discontinued products on your site? Maybe there's a better way to handle that, which will bypass the search-results issue.
      Kent Multer
      Magic Metal Productions
      http://TheMagicM.com
      * Web developer/designer
      * E-commerce and Miva
      * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Because these product pages still show in search engines which drives traffic to our site. There is no buy button on these pages, and we offer alternative products on these pages with a 5% off promo.

Comment

There are other ways to handle discontinued products. Many stores set up type-301 redirects so that customers looking for these products will be redirected to a similar product, or to a category page that contains a number of similar products. I've written modules to do this; and in Miva version 9, it's built-in to the store with the URI Management settings.
          Kent Multer
          Magic Metal Productions
          * Web developer/designer
          * E-commerce and Miva

Comment

I have a very similar desire: I need to hide certain products from the search results.

I use Power Search, but I'm updating to Levels and I want to use the more sophisticated native search.

We offer a choice of free items to everyone who goes through checkout. I use the upsale feature. I created a product called free-gift with an attribute that allows customers to choose one of five free thingies. I don't want free-gift showing up in searches.

Also, preventing certain categories from showing up in searches as well would be great.
            Doug
            Using Miva Merchant since 2004
            StoreSMART.com

Comment

We have a few upsale type items that we want to make sure they aren't search results too.
              It would be a pain in the butt to have to hard code and check for just a few product codes on the srch results.
              I wonder if this has been addressed in some way yet.

Comment

We also need this. We have items that go out of season that do not need to be removed but need to be unorderable for a short time. We don't want them coming up in search since that is frustrating for the customer. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Comment

We're converting some discontinued products to a "static" pages where it's clear that the product is out and proposing a substitute. Few discontinued products are just redirected to their analog.
                  We don't have too many of them though.

Comment

Hiding products from search results usually requires a change in the search algorithm. I haven't worked with the new faceted-search features in Miva; do they allow you to set up a facet for a custom product field? If so, I think you can create a "DontFind" custom field to mark the products you want to hide, and create a hidden facet that will cause all searches to leave the marked products out of the results.

I've written search modules that provide facets for custom fields; so if anyone needs this now, you can email me.

Thanks --
                    Kent Multer
                    Magic Metal Productions
                    * Web developer/designer
                    * E-commerce and Miva

Comment

Originally posted by AHerb View Post
                      We're converting some discontinued products to a "static" pages where it's clear that the product is out and proposing a substitute. Few discontinued products are just redirected to their analog.
                      We don't have too many of them though.
                      This is a very good idea if the product is not coming back in stock. One could probably even automate it.

The other 'pretty damn' simple approach is a custom field and then wrap the return results with "IF NOT(CustomField)".
                      Bruce Golub
                      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                      phosphormedia.com

Comment

That is what we currently do - a custom field with this conditional on the SRCH page: <mvt:if expr="NOT('SAWA' CIN l.settings:product:code OR.........

But Miva still 'counts' the item even though it is hidden. This causes blank pages as you scroll through multiple search results pages sometimes. For categories, we have to move the item to the bottom of the list so it doesn't mess up item count on each page as much.

Comment

Working...
                        X