Email Spam Block TLD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Spam Block TLD?

I'm looking at the control panel on my Miva hosted site for ways to block emails from entire TLDs. Something like *@*.xyz.com.
    Would this work??

TIA

Unfortunately we don't have anything to do that which would work reliably. The issue is that spammers tend to use random domains for the 'envelope sender' or 'return path' even if they are using the same displayed "From" address. The software we have on the servers, SpamAssassin, just looks at that envelope sender, so if you are getting a lot of spam all claiming to be from [email protected], chances are, blocking @msn.com will have no effect because the spammer is probably using all kinds of random envelope sender addresses.

We've gone back and forth on looking into higher end anti-spam options, such as filtering appliances, but many of our customers host their email elsewhere and they would not be cost effective given what we'd have to charge customers to make use of them versus commercial anti-spam services which offer the same thing. Therefore, we tend to recommend using an anti-spam service if hosting email with us rather than a third party. They tend to be in the few dollars per mailbox per month range so they're generally very cost effective. Many of our customers use Spam Soap for example.

A great free plugin for many email clients is http://www.cloudmarkdesktop.com/
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Conard View Post
      I'm looking at the control panel on my Miva hosted site for ways to block emails from entire TLDs. Something like *@*.xyz.com.
      Would this work??

TIA
      These will work:

*@????.xyz
      *@?????.xyz
      *@??????.xyz
      *@???????.xyz
      *@????????.xyz
      *@?????????.xyz
      *@??????????.xyz
      *@???????????.xyz
      *@????????????.xyz
      *@?????????????.xyz
      *@??????????????.xyz
      *@???????????????.xyz
      *@????????????????.xyz
      *@?????????????????.xyz
      *@??????????????????.xyz
      *@???????????????????.xyz
      *@????????????????????.xyz
      *@?????????????????????.xyz
      *@??????????????????????.xyz
      *@???????????????????????.xyz
      *@????????????????????????.xyz
      *@?????????????????????????.xyz

Bronson Design Studio, LLC
      Facebook: facebook.com/bronsondesign

Comment

Just looking over the sender envelopes and return addresses and a simple way to block TLDs would work. Most of them are using subdomains with very long usernames which would make Papi34's very difficult to use as I now have about 15 TLD's in my desktop software's block and delete functions. Sample envelope address like yxcimplezrt.slingeldfd.link.
        I have been using desktop software called MailWasher for 15 years or so and it works great unless I leave town or don't have a computer running for 24 hours. Then it takes forever to have the program load to do it's job.
        Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
        X