Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product Code Character Limit - Ideas/Solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Code Character Limit - Ideas/Solutions?

There's been a few posts regarding this particular situation but since some of them are rather old or pertain to previous versions of Miva I thought I'd seek some more current information before I start tinkering.

I'm running into a problem with the 50 character limit for product codes. Since I have a rather large SKU count in front of me I just rely on some functions in Excel to generate the code for product import. It's simply the product name with the SKU appended and then filtered to remove the useless terms. This works great as most everything falls in the 40-60 character range and keeps the URLs clean yet informative. Unfortunately, those that top 50 characters fail on import.

My first thought was to just start dumping characters from the product code but this isn't exactly ideal. The catalog contains numerous items that are similar, maybe with a different brand or part of a different model line, and having those terms in the URL is important. This is especially important for those performing very specific searches.

I then thought about altering the database to allow for longer character limits which seems like the best solution. I read in another post that an earlier version of Miva supported 100 characters which would be perfect and I think anything more than that is overkill or keyword stuffing anyway.

My concern is mainly the impact on the product database with future upgrades. If an update resets that to 50, what then happens to all of those products which might account for 50% of the catalog. I also read about other side effects in the store or with modules but I'm not sure how relevant those are now. Currently the only two modules in use are Toolkit and Purchase Order Plus from Emporium Plus, with Quickbooks integration to likely come later.

Any thoughts you can throw my way regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I'm especially interested in the database modification and depth of changes required as the alternative really sacrifices the unique product differences that the URLs contain. While it may only be 10 or 15 characters in most cases, the terms removed will prove to be quite important to the product.

Thanks,
    Tim

Re: Product Code Character Limit - Ideas/Solutions?

joining thread
    Larry
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Tim -

Modifying the database table to allow for 100 characters for product codes can work but there is always a risk one day something will break it which is why we don't recommend it. The risk is small but it still exists. If we ever made changes to that table in a future update, most likely with would not revert your changes but it is really hard to know for sure.

The big issue here is the limitations of the URL structure and reliance on the product code to create your url structure you are looking to achieve. It is worth noting that this is very high on our list of features to update once version 9 ships. We want to allow you to create any url structure you want without having to adjust your product codes to get there.

In the mean time I would recommend a module from Kent, called Page Finder. It adds a new tab to the product page which allows you to import any URL structure you like and it is not tied to the product code. You need to email him directly to get a license, I believe it is $200. [email protected]
      Brennan Heyde
      VP Product
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Hi Brennan,

Thanks for the information and I'm really glad this is high on the list for PR9 as it's so important for SEO but also for product URL situations where that extra term can have such a significant impact in differentiating similar items.

Considering the last post I read about the PR9 time frame I'll need to evaluate my approach a little further. I understand you probably can't elaborate on the details of this feature but I'd assume that it's something similar to a custom field where it can be included in the CSV for import. If that proves to be true then I might just compromise on the URLs for now and perform a mass update later. I really didn't like the option of altering the database either but it had to remain an option for this.

Thanks again,
        Tim

Comment

Working...
        X