Product and Category Code Field Validation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product and Category Code Field Validation

Don't know about the rest of you folks, but we do a lot of copying an pasting from our word processor to enter a new product for obvious reasons such as spellcheck and styling.

We wrote a simple word processing macro years ago wherein it not only checks for spelling, but it also automatically substitutes line brakes, paragraphs, bold, substitutes special characters for their html equivalent (character entities) to reduce errors and save time. Anyway, often times the product code field becomes a victim carelessness data entry for lack of a better term.

Examples of Product Code Field Errors:
    • Blank spaces
    • Double hyphens
    • Underscore
    • Special characters
    • Mixed case
    • All upper case letters
    • Punctuation
    • html code <b>
    • Combinations of the above

The problem is that most often times than not the problem is not discovered until much later. Not only does the product in question is affected from a URL perspective and possibly search engine placement as well.

In one case our entire sitemap was rejected by Google Merchant Center because one product code contained html code for bold <b> and we did not find out about it until a week later because Google appears to no longer be sending data feed status emails (if they are, please let me know as soon as possible so I can open a ticket with Google, according to them they no longer are).

An option for product code url slug suggestion based on product name or rules based on product custom fields would be great also.

Example:

Product Name: WILLIE MAYS 1957 TOPPS BASEBALL CARD #10 PSA 8.5 *HIGH-END* Officially licensed MLB product

Product Code: willie-mays-1957-topps-baseball-card-10-psa-high-end

The same goes for category code as well.

Note: If for any reason product or category code is changed, a message and/or option to review/update URI would be ideal.
    Last edited by William Davis; 11-30-17, 10:06 AM. Reason: Additional idea related to this post.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

I'm not following what the feature request is here?
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
      I'm not following what the feature request is here?
      Product code field should not accept for the entries following:
      • Blank spaces
      • Double hyphens
      • Underscore
      • Special characters
      • Mixed case
      • All upper case letters
      • Punctuation
      • html code <b>
      • Combinations of the above

Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment