Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price Groups: Assign Attributes by Default for Excluded Products/Excluded Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price Groups: Assign Attributes by Default for Excluded Products/Excluded Categories

Currently when assigning products or categories for Exclusion by Price Group Discounts, the attributes of those products do not get assigned. So by default, any product with color or size variants does not get excluded from the discount when added to the cart.

This behavior only seems to take place for exclusions - when I tested assigning Discounted Products (rather than excluding products) the attributes did appear to follow the assigned discounting rules.
    Psydde Delicious
    Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
    Philadelphia, PA
    www.DeliciousBoutique.com
    www.DeliciousCorsets.com

If you have your store setup so that pricing is determined at the variant level, then when doing price group inclusions or exclusions you need to assign all the variants in addition to the master product. Miva does not automatically assign these for you as you may want some variants included/excluded and not all.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Brennan,

Thanks for the response. I'm actually seeing slightly different results than what you describe.

When I set up a price group to INCLUDE assigned Products or to INCLUDE an assigned Category the variants of those assigned products or the variants of the products that are part of the assigned category are all discounted as I would expect.

When I set up a price group to EXCLUDE assigned products the variants of those products are not excluded unless they are also assigned. That makes sense... that will allow you to exclude only specific variants from being discounted if you wish. Exclusions on the product level seems like the appropriate place to have this behavior.

When I set up a price group to EXCLUDE a specific Category, the variants of the products within that category are not excluded. This is the behavior that seems odd to me. It would seem to make more sense that variants would also be assigned to the same category(s) as their parent product.

As an example, if I wanted to run a storewide sale but exclude products from my New Arrivals category, I would not be able to simply use the Exclude Category feature for my price group. Instead I would have to first search for all the variants of all the products within the New Arrivals category, assign those variants to also be part of the New Arrivals category, and then I could exclude the category.

It would seem more logical that if you are setting up Exclusions on the Category level, that the variants of the products within the assigned categories are also part of the exclusions.

Psydde Delicious
      Philadelphia, PA
      www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Originally posted by delcorsets View Post
        Brennan,

Thanks for the response. I'm actually seeing slightly different results than what you describe.

When I set up a price group to INCLUDE assigned Products or to INCLUDE an assigned Category the variants of those assigned products or the variants of the products that are part of the assigned category are all discounted as I would expect.

When I set up a price group to EXCLUDE assigned products the variants of those products are not excluded unless they are also assigned. That makes sense... that will allow you to exclude only specific variants from being discounted if you wish. Exclusions on the product level seems like the appropriate place to have this behavior.

When I set up a price group to EXCLUDE a specific Category, the variants of the products within that category are not excluded. This is the behavior that seems odd to me. It would seem to make more sense that variants would also be assigned to the same category(s) as their parent product.

As an example, if I wanted to run a storewide sale but exclude products from my New Arrivals category, I would not be able to simply use the Exclude Category feature for my price group. Instead I would have to first search for all the variants of all the products within the New Arrivals category, assign those variants to also be part of the New Arrivals category, and then I could exclude the category.

It would seem more logical that if you are setting up Exclusions on the Category level, that the variants of the products within the assigned categories are also part of the exclusions.
        When generating variants they are not assigned to any categories. You would have to actually go in and assign the variants to that category first before a category level inclusion or exclusion will work.

Mark Hood
        Vermont Gear

Comment

Thanks for the response Mark.

I am actually seeing the category Inclusion working differently (the way I prefer) from the way category exclusion works (the way that is less beneficial for my particular scenario.)

When I assign a Discounted Category to a price group (inclusion), the variants of the products within that category are being discounted (without me having to first assign the variants to the category)... this is exactly what I would expect and what I prefer. (I wonder if there is something unique happening in my store if that is not how it works for others?)

The same behavior however does not carry over for Category Exclusion. When I exclude a category I need to first assign all the products' variants to the category I am excluding. While I see how this works, it seems (to me) to be backward logic. Instead of assigning all variants I want to be affected by the Category Level exclusion I would expect instead to only specify variants which I would not want to part of the exclusion. Perhaps this is just not possible since, like you said, by default variants are not assigned to a category.

I understand that my situation may be unique or not the way the majority of users would want the feature to work, so perhaps I would change my Dream Feature to be:

"On a category level, have the ability to assign all variants of products within a category to also be part of that same category."

That would make my example of discounting all products except those in the New Arrivals category much easier... instead of searching for and assigning all the product variants to the New Arrivals category, I could just perhaps check a box to say I also want all of the product's variants to also be assigned to New Arrivals. I could then simply exclude the New Arrivals category from a storewide sale.

Psydde Delicious
          Philadelphia, PA
          www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Hi delcorsets,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue, I have added a bug for it.

-Eric
            Eric Foresman
            Software Tester
            Miva Merchant
            http://www.mivamerchant.com/
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X