Template Textarea Should Have Basic Code Editor Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Template Textarea Should Have Basic Code Editor Features

A lot of sites already do this and it'd be a definite plus. JS syntax highlighting for JS Resource file editing, CSS syntax highlighting for CSS Resource file editing, and combination HTML/CSS/JS/?MivaTemplateLanguage? syntax highlighting for all the rest.

Gone will be the days where 1 tab = 8 spaces! Tabbing a block of text will actually indent more than one line! Thing about the productivity boost!

I definitely have this on my list of things to do, unfortunately it will be a very big project, as we don't include third party stuff in our core admin (all those other sites are most likely importing the same editor, like GitHub's). All that syntax highlighting and special tabbing isn't actually done on a TextArea DOM element, it is done on the fly as you type with dynamically generated elements through JavaScript. It's some seriously cool stuff, and really interesting to build, but we also have the problem that not all of our supported browsers support all the functions we would need to implement it (there is some funky stuff with copy and paste via javascript, and a few others. Probably things we could get by with some creativity). Anyway, I completely agree that this would be a really nice feature to have, and would love to one day implement it, but it won't be for a while if we do.
    Ryan Guisewite
    Lead UI Developer / Miva, Inc.
    www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
    X