Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allow Product Variants to Inherit Shipping Rules from Parent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow Product Variants to Inherit Shipping Rules from Parent?

It would be very helpful if product variants could inherit Shipping Rules / Payment Rules from their parent product... or perhaps optionally inherit the rules.

I recently created a special Flat Rate shipping method for the holidays. Now as I am assigning it as a "permitted shipping method" to eligible products I see that the method needs to be assigned to each individual variant, not just the main product.

I see how in certain cases you would NOT want all the variants to permit the same methods (a 1lb bag of sugar vs. a 5lb bag) however it becomes very tedious for items where it IS desirable for variants to all share the same permitted shipping method (T-Shirt - Sizes XS to XL, in 4 Colors)

Or maybe the method of assigning these rules by checkbox could be improved.. It would be very nice if you could select a permitted shipping method, and then assign eligible products to the method, in the same way you assign products to categories.
    Psydde Delicious
    Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
    Philadelphia, PA
    www.DeliciousBoutique.com
    www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Hi Delcorsets

In my testing it looks like the variant products are already inheriting the master products settings for shipping and payment rules. Do you happen to know if that store it using the “Product Variant Basket Item Replacement” module? That’s the only thing I can think of that might change that behavior.

-Eric
    Eric Foresman
    Software Tester
    Miva Merchant
    http://www.mivamerchant.com/
    [email protected]

Comment

Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not using that module, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. I have a tee shirt (many actually) that I would like to be able to ship using a Permitted Shipping Method of "Special Flat Rate" (a Flat Rate Shipping Method that we created.)

When I assign that as a Permitted Shipping Method to the parent product only, adding a size Large to my cart does not allow me to see that assigned method during checkout.

If however, I assign the Permitted Shipping Method to the variant product, size Large, then I do see that Special Flat Rate as an available shipping method.

Psydde
      Psydde Delicious
      Philadelphia, PA
      www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Originally posted by delcorsets View Post
        Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not using that module, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. I have a tee shirt (many actually) that I would like to be able to ship using a Permitted Shipping Method of "Special Flat Rate" (a Flat Rate Shipping Method that we created.)

When I assign that as a Permitted Shipping Method to the parent product only, adding a size Large to my cart does not allow me to see that assigned method during checkout.

If however, I assign the Permitted Shipping Method to the variant product, size Large, then I do see that Special Flat Rate as an available shipping method.

Psydde
        Hi Psydde

Would it be possible to open a support ticket so that one of our support reps can log in and take a look at the settings? That might helps us figure out what is happening and at the very least try to reproduce it on out of our test stores.

Thanks
        -Eric
        Eric Foresman
        Software Tester
        Miva Merchant
        [email protected]

Comment

Yes, I'll open a support ticket now and reference this thread.

Psydde
          Psydde Delicious
          Philadelphia, PA
          www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

An update on this in case anyone is following this thread:

We're only seeing issues with inherited shipping rules when a shipping method is configured to "Exclude This Method Unless Permitted by Products".
            For this, our development team has filed a bug report and we'll get that resolved in a future release of the Miva software.
            The above was my scenario, so a bug has been filed and will hopefully get resolved quickly.

Thanks to Miva support for confirming this.
            Psydde Delicious
            Philadelphia, PA
            www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Was this bug fixed? I need to use "exclude this method unless permitted by products" and variants and need this to work properly.

Comment

Originally posted by afiumano View Post
                Was this bug fixed? I need to use "exclude this method unless permitted by products" and variants and need this to work properly.
                Hi afiumano

The fix for that bug has not been released yet.

-Eric
                Eric Foresman
                Software Tester
                Miva Merchant
                [email protected]

Comment

What is the projected release date? This goes all the way back to 2018. Is there a work around because we have to get this working to launch the new store?

Comment

Any update on this? We have a product with 2912 variants simply because it is a monogram and you can choose letters of the alphabet. I need to use "exclude this method unless permitted by products" for a shipping method and then assign that method to this product 2912 times! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X