Prior notification of automatic changes to page template code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prior notification of automatic changes to page template code

I recently made what I thought was a simple configuration change. I changed the primary customer address from ship to to bill to.

I didn't realize when I did this that Miva had gone through and automatically updated page template code on about ten different active pages on my site. Because I use custom code to style my pages, all of these pages were broken. It ended up taking me a long time to find and update all of them. And I'm still not sure I've identified every instance of the changes Miva made.

It would be nice if before Miva automatically updated page template code it would present a warning message saying which page templates will be changed with the requested action. Miva already does something similar when you attempt to deactivate and/or uninstall a module and that module has template code on certain pages. This is really useful. It would be helpful to have a similar warning presented before page template code is changed as well.
    Todd Gibson
    Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

I agree, that's super annoying.
    There is a checkbox on the customer info items now that says"Prevent Automatic Updates to This Template"
    not that it helps if you don't have it checked and it doesn't come checked by default.

1. You should be able to revert the code to the previous version. The trick is finding them. It's not too hard though: It's the "Customer Fields" item (normally) so if you see the "pages" assigned to that item you'll see it is:
    ABAL Customer Account Balance
    ACAD Create An Account
    ACED Update Account Information
    CSBE Customer Subscription: Edit
    OCST Checkout: Customer Information
    OPAY Checkout: Payment Information
    OSEL Checkout: Shipping/Payment Selection
    RGFT Redeem Gift Certificate
    So some annoying reverting and testing and you're pretty much good.

2. Another way to find stuff is to download and install the free "Template Find and Replace" module. https://apps.miva.com/template-search-and-replace.html and look for what you know is in your custom code.
    Colin Puttick
    Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought of that approach, but it works. Some of the pages listed are set, by default, to "Tokens Only - No Display" so there was no real issue there. And I did find some other pages where changes were made.

For posterity's sake, in case anyone searches for this in the future, here's the list of page templates I had to change after switching to the bill to address:
      • OCST
      • OSEL
      • OPAY
      • INVC
      • ACAD
      • ACED
      • ORDS
      • CADA
      • CADE
      • CABK

Todd Gibson
      Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family