"Make a Copy" Button for Products or Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Make a Copy" Button for Products or Categories

It would be super nice if there was a way to "Make a Copy" of a product or category from within the interface. Especially, when using attributes and the inventory kit builder, it could save a ton of time when working within the admin. Ideally, it would copy everything from the product, but just leave the Product Code field blank, which would then have to be updated manually in order to make it unique.

NetSuite ERP has a "Make a Copy" button with items and it is one of those little things that just makes you happy when you use it and it saves you a ton of time.

There are "copy" product modules available. For example: https://www.southbound.com/product-copy.html
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

This feature has been on our radar for a long time. We definitely want to add this but were taking some time to make sure we do it right. A single product touches a bunch of different tables such as attributes, variants, custom fields, subscriptions, credit, etc. For example if you have a product which has has 50 inventory variants, when you click copy product on the master product we not only need to create the master product to also create all 50 variants (non-active products) as well.

The amount of data that need to be created, copied can get really big really quick.

We're thinking though a wizard type tool to allow you to make some decisions as to what gets copied when it comes to things like variants, kits, subscription terms when you do click a copy product button.

Happy to hear any input you have around how you would like to see this feature work.
      Brennan Heyde
      VP Product
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

That would be awesome. I would love to not have to rely on a module to copy a product or category.
        --Scott

Comment

In addition, it would be great if we could copy a page. We're looking into setting up an affiliate program. The module allows us to redirect an affiliate link to any page. We might want to create a new SFNT page for each affiliate. Making a copy of a page would be a big time saver.
          Gary

[email protected]
          www.icCommerce.com

Comment

Originally posted by gsam View Post
            In addition, it would be great if we could copy a page. We're looking into setting up an affiliate program. The module allows us to redirect an affiliate link to any page. We might want to create a new SFNT page for each affiliate. Making a copy of a page would be a big time saver.
            I'd just create a singular page with conditionals for various areas of the page such as logo image, naming, etc. Simple enough and even less work than copying the storefront (which may change over time).
            Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

We used to do exactly what Bruce suggests. But it quickly became a nightmare. So we stopped doing it except for affiliates who really made $ thus making it worthwhile. There is a lot of hand holding that goes on. Even if you add custom fields that allows them to input color variables, a name to display etc. Plus you do NOT want to let them upload any images.. you will find out really quickly that there are a lot of people who will put up ugly things (as well as a few who will put up illegal things) and that doesn't even address the security issues... images can have nasty code embedded into them. You definitely want to be careful with that.

FYI.. we do not do it any more at all. We stopped that customized affiliate program a couple of years ago. We will create white label stores that we manage and fulfill with a "partners" look and feel. That is entirely a different thing.

Comment

Originally posted by kayakbabe View Post
                We used to do exactly what Bruce suggests.
                yea, i should have clarified that it will make it easier for the STORE OWNER to make updates. I'd NEVER let someone else create content for a product/service i'm representative off.

Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

I ended up using conditions as Bruce suggested but how many conditions can a single template hold before it starts to get out of control. Even with good notations, the page can become overwhelming. I have also used the Tool Kit Render function to store snippets that can be called depending on conditions just to cut down on the lines of code the template ends up with. But I have some categories and products that are so different in the way they need to be displayed it just makes sense to create a new category or product template. A copy option under the 'More' button to go along with the Token List and Edit Tab Order options would really be nice.

While I'm on a rant how about the version history list. I ask for some additional control over this 10 years ago and it's still the same. I can end up with 20 versions in a heartbeat just trying to get some CSS style to work. Just add a checkbox next to each version and a button to clear selected versions.

Gary

[email protected]
                  www.icCommerce.com

Comment

RE: Conditionals. If you mean processing time, yes, each conditional adds a bit to the overall performance. Otherwise, its a personal preference issue. I used to be keen on having one template run EVERYTHING because I hated having to update multiple templates when say a text change or display change was needed. But, have since found its actually faster to use multiple templates and just repeat the changes and keep the templates themselves cleaner and EASIER to update.

Placing repetitive content in reusable containers is a good way to manage template coding, however, using template render (there is a native version btw) is not 'CPU' friendly. I would suggest using Create Your Own Tokens from Interactive Design Solutions (http://www.southbound.com/) or Pro Content from Scotsscripts.com.
                    Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                    X