Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to quickly eliminate zero value product & assign it to 301 Redirect to Cononical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to quickly eliminate zero value product & assign it to 301 Redirect to Cononical

I am a dealer of postcards, and as such, products are one of a kind. When one sells, I spend a great deal of time deleting the product and listing it to the 301 Redirect to canonical. I have had a couple of large orders in the past week and I have to spend HOURS getting all deleted and listed on the 301 Redirect to Canonical. This is only a problem for the person that is dealing with one of a kind products. It seems to me, the process could be improved upon because EVERY item is treated EXACTLY the same.

This is how my teacher (Holly Nelson) has taught me to do it.

HOW TO CHANGE THE 404’S TO 301’S
    SETUP
    Click on Website for Admin
    Click on Menu, then Catalog (You are in the Products)
    Minimize the screen
    Open a second screen for Admin
    Click on Menu, then Catalog then Categories
    You have two screens now, Screen 1 with Products and Screen 2 with Categories.
    Switch back to Screen 1 (Products)

PROCEDURE
    1. Delete the product
    Click on the first item and Click on Edit
    Click on the three dots after Categories
    Click on URIs
    Double Click on the URI to highligt it and copy it
    Go back 1
    Click on the “three dots and more” at the far right of the screen
    Click on Delete Product
    Click on OK
    2. Redirect the product to 301
    Click on Screen 2 (The Category)
    Click on the Category of the listing
    Click on URIs
    Click on the Plus Sign
    Click on the “Normal” and then click the 301 Redirect to Conical
    Copy the URI to Redirect
    Click on Save
    Go back to initial settings and continue until current stock is “1”

This reminds me of 20 or 30 years ago when we just recorded key strokes, gave it a name, and then we could run it over and over.

There is a little problem with the concept as presented because you have to make it do two things. One is to delete the product, the second is to change it to 301. So it needs a little work. Maybe it needs to be labeled "Delete the Product" and the second "Change to 301".

I don't know, but it seems to me that the time to make the change and implement the feature would be paid back time and time again, depending how many of your clients are selling one of a kind items.

Could probably do this in a product listing loop.

Call the All Products Listing function,
    If Inventory = 0
    Get Product URI Link
    Write Product Code, Product Code Link to a file
    Delete Product
    EndIF

After this runs, use the file created as a URI System import filet to add the 301s

Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
    X