Product stub to redirect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product stub to redirect

This may be a wacky idea but something it something we have done for a few items since about Miva 4 (?) which is is create a 'stub' product in a category and use the Alternate Display page to call a page that has some Tool Kit redirect to a category when it is clicked. For example this category https://www.allfrom1supply.com/endur...-touch-up.html where the first two 'products' are really links to categories .

There are some problems with this that I had to deal with and originally it was one link but now we have several. I expect them to eventually break with some update but the functionality is useful. I was thinking it would be nice if Miva had a 'product stub/redirect' object which could be added to a category so that it looked like a product on the CTGY page but with a place in the admin to set a redirect url to another existing page, product or category.

Hope that is clear.

habreu We do something very similar on our site. We actually had a custom module created by 216digital which allows us to assign these "redirect faux products" in specific categories, at designated positions (first, last, specific spot,) and with specified reoccurance if desired. It's a great feature that we have many uses for. It may not be something that has enough demand to be a native feature, but if you're interested, check with 216digital about their module.

This may be a wacky idea but something it something we have done for a few items since about Miva 4 (?) which is is create a 'stub' product in a category and use the Alternate Display page to call a page that has some Tool Kit redirect to a category when it is clicked. For example this category https://www.allfrom1supply.com/endur...-touch-up.html where the first two 'products' are really links to categories .
    Psydde Delicious
    Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
    Philadelphia, PA
    www.DeliciousBoutique.com
    www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Isn't this something you can do with URI Management? Another possible solution, If interested, I can dig up a code snippet that uses an HTTP header to accomplish a redirect.

Scott

For posterity:

Code:
      <mvt:assign name="g.return_value" value="miva_output_header( 'Status', '301 Moved Permanently' )" />
      <mvt:assign name="g.return_value" value="miva_output_header( 'Location', 'https://www.the_new_location_here.com/some_ctgy_or_prod.html?some_urishere' )" />
      Last edited by ids; 11-13-20, 09:18 AM.
      Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
      Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
      MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
      Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
      My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Originally posted by delcorsets View Post
        habreu We do something very similar on our site. We actually had a custom module created by 216digital which allows us to assign these "redirect faux products" in specific categories, at designated positions (first, last, specific spot,) and with specified reoccurance if desired. It's a great feature that we have many uses for. It may not be something that has enough demand to be a native feature, but if you're interested, check with 216digital about their module.
        Thanks I may take a look after we complete the Miva 10 upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
          Isn't this something you can do with URI Management? If interested, I can dig up a code snippet that uses an HTTP header to accomplish a redirect.

Scott
          I don't think it can be done with URI management but would love to be wrong. When I tried to create a stub product and set the url to redirect to an existing category it complains that the uri already exists.

I use the old Tool Kit redirect code

<mvt:item name="toolkit" param="headeroutput|Status|301 Moved Permanently" />
          <mvt:item name="toolkit" param="headeroutput|Location|https://www.allfrom1supply.com/mypage.html" />

But the main problem is setting it all up.

So if I want a product to redirect to a category I create the stub product, then I create a page with the redirect code and assign the alternate page to the stub product, then in some cases I assign the products to an active subcategory of a 'container' category which is inactive which helps the breadcrumbs and category tree hide actual location (trial and error but it works).

So this was okay when it was just the one 'product' the boss wanted redirected, then the one category he wanted in multiple subcategories without having to duplicate it, but as I said there are several now. It works I'm just afraid it will implode at some point with some future update. If Miva 10 or future version adds ability to assign child category to multiple categories that would get rid of some of them.

I have used this multiple ways on the site so it is useful but not sure if it would be useful to everyone just figured I'd put it out there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

I think I recall doing this in the past. For URI Management, have you tried to add the redirect to the destination CTGY page URI? In this case, I think you would remove the URI assignment from the PROD you're redirecting from.

NOTE: use the URI export to make a backup of your current URI data before making changes.

Scott

Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
            Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
            MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
            Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
            AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
            My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
              I think I recall doing this in the past. For URI Management, have you tried to add the redirect to the destination CTGY page URI? In this case, I think you would remove the URI assignment from the PROD you're redirecting from.

NOTE: use the URI export to make a backup of your current URI data before making changes.

Scott

No I haven't tried it on the destination. I'll try it on the dev site - thanks!

Comment

Hmm...I see in Miva 10 that selecting an existing URI gives you a REDIRECT option with page, category etc but so far haven't figured it out. Going to dig through the documentation to see if tis does what I want.

Comment

Working...
                X