Custom Field groups in facets..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Field groups in facets..

Have figured out facets except for groups. Can someone give me an example of how custom field groups can be used with them?

Think I figured out groups. But am I overthinking and groups are not necessary for the set up I want?

Craft book store that is currently just painting. Expanding it into more crafts. Want to have a faceted set up like below. Currently I do everything via category and child categories.

CRAFT: (main types all main categories - no facet/filter)
    - Crochet
    - Knitting
    - Painting

PAINTING (one type with facet/filters)
    - Medium
    - Format
    - Subject
    - Artist
    - Publisher

KNITTING
    - blah
    - blah
    - blah

My problem is the way I have 935 categories for just painting that I want to convert over to facets. Can do that via CSV file easy enough.

So do I keep only the main category (no filters/facets) of Crochet, Knitting and Painting then use custom field groups for each set of filters that are just for that group? Then go into each category and hide the filter groups that don't have options for that category?

Or am I overthinking this and I just adjust the category tree (shadows readytheme) so that no filters show until a main craft is chosen?

Any insight is appreciated. At this time I don't sell much so trying to do myself.

Comment

AFAIK, groups are a Miva Admin thing that lets you organize how custom fields are displayed. They have no relationship outside of the admin.

As far as using Custom Fields and Facets to replace static category structures, yes. That is exactly what you can do, albeit, a bit tricky. The "facet-tree" would replace the Category Tree. So, for example, all products that would normally be found when clicking on the Knitting category, would have Knitting as their "category" custom field.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks.. See how the groups work now. The miva docs said this: Global Status - Show or Hide - Determines if the facet should show globally which means on any page that implements facets (category, search, product list, etc). However that setting no longer exists.

I set up a craft type of painting, knitting, crochet..... but when I click on painting it does not show all painting with facet options. Its a live store so I can't experiment/guess trying too much as I could break it.
        Last edited by entrepre7; 12-08-18, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Just FYI - if you are eliminating a bunch of cats and replace them with facets, make sure to check if your categories had SEO value and if you should/need to implement 301's via URI management.
          Sabine Sharp
          eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
          Glendale Designs
          Support Desk

Comment

Appreciate the advise. Am not actually cancelling the existing categories just eliminated the category tree. They still exist. May build a special page for all of them. I just rebuilt by site over the summer using the shadows theme and lost all my SEO because I did not know how to do 301 redirects.I used to be on page one for most of my items. Not sure how long it takes to get me back. But do notice some categories are working their way back to first page or second. But individual items that I used to be #1 on are way more buried than categories. Which leads me to think that google does not like individual vs categories. Still learning.

Comment

Feel free to reach out to us if you want us to take a look to make sure canonical, etc as well as Google account interlining has been set up as it should be ;)
              Sabine Sharp
              eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
              Glendale Designs
              Support Desk

Comment

Working...
              X