Bulk Image Delete from FTP Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulk Image Delete from FTP Server

We have a legacy store not using Image Engine where every part number has an image on the FTP Server that is the partnumber.jpg

Each manufacturer we have in the store has their own folder for images and PDFs on the FTP Server.

We need to delete a few thousand part numbers from Miva which is easy enough but I also want to delete the images from the FTP server.

I have a list of part numbers to delete and I have a list of JPGs in their folders to delete.

Uusing Windows 7 I thought I would map a network drive to the FTP Server (usually drive Z for example) then with a list of JPGs to delete and their various and many folders I would use a simple batch file to delete the JPGs.

I could not get Windows to map a drive to the Miva FTP Server but could to other FTP servers so I asked Miva Support and they told me mapping a network drive was not possible for security reasons.

We have FileZilla and another FTP client Ipswitch for FTP but I can't find a way to delete a thousand JPGs in many folders.

I downloaded another FTP program called ExpanDrive which did allow me to map drive Z to the Miva FTP Server and I can navigate and see the folders from a Command Prompt window.

The problem is using ExpanDrive I can (as a test on just one file) see the file I want to delete and issue the command like:

del partnumber.jpg

There is no error message but the file does not get deleted no matter how many ways I try to delete it.

As another test of ExpanDrive I found that it must sort of work because I can navigate and do things like rename a file with no problem - but I can't delete the file.

So what ideas or suggestions are there for deleting lots of image files from the FTP Server when the files are in various folders and there are a thousand to delete?

Not sure why Expandrive wouldn't work. Is it a trial version? I use "Webdrive" personally. But these utils do the same thing which is a virtual local drive.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Oh boy - I used WebDrive and it seems to work.

I'll work up my batch file now and see how many zillion files I can delete.

Thanks for that suggestion of something that works instead of something to try.

Comment

Here is what I see on my Z drive which has been mapped to the Miva FTP Server (apparently inserting an image is too complicated for me)

Last edited by joseibarra; 02-21-19, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you already worked around it, but a few alternative options are also available. Regarding the Windows drive mapping; that doesn't work because Windows only supports normally plain text password FTP for mapping, which is disabled on the server side.

One option is for a one time use case like this, we could have a script remove the files for you, given their names.

A second, would be to use an SSH client and get a command line connection in instead of FTP; you could then create a list of commands to remove the files using the 'rm' command. I, or support, could help with that if needed.

I believe several FTP programs also have batch command support, so that could be a third option.

Finally, CuteFTP has a concept of folder synchronization, in both directions if desired. You could download the entire graphics folder, set it for synchronization, then remove the local files you want gone and it would do the same on the server side.
          David Hubbard
          CIO
          Miva
          [email protected]
          http://www.miva.com

Comment

Another approach is to use Quick File Rename from (https://www.skyjuicesoftware.com/sof...ame/index.html), I use this software a lot, its the most powerful utility of its kind that I know of. It allows one to import a list of files and rename them any way you want. So I would install the software on the server, import files to be deleted list into utility, rename all those files with a unique delete prefix (e.g.: DELETE-[FileName]), then perform a delete file command from command line on all files with delete prefix (e.g.: del DELETE-*.*). I done this many times but never on a web server, but I don't see why it would not work.

The feature is called Rename from list more info on that particular feature is available on this page: https://www.skyjuicesoftware.com/sof...le-rename.html. It even has an undo feature as well. What I like best about the utility, it has a preview window so you can see a sampling in realtime before renaming is performed.

They have a demo version.
            Last edited by William Davis; 02-22-19, 06:56 AM.
            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Still liking WebDrive am I.

https://webdrive.com/
              WebDrive is the Best Way to Connect to the Cloud. Map a Drive Letter to DropBox, Google Drive, S3, More. WebDrive also Gives You WebDAV Client and FTP Client Capability Through a Network Drive or Mounted Device.

Comment

Working...
              X