State Shipping Restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Shipping Restrictions

We have state restrictions on our shipping methods because we don't ship to Hawaii and Alaska. But if the customer selects that for shipping on the OCST page, the generic error "Shipping could not be calculated for your basket. This may be due to a network or configuration error, or the contents of your basket may not be able to be shipped in a single shipment." is thrown.

Is this how it is suppose to work?

Wouldn't it be more effective to show a message that says shipping is restricted?

You can change the wording of that message to whatever you want. But if you are not shipping to AL/HI, I'd remove them from the State list and probably add a message to the OCST stating that. Why make customers go through OCST and then fail them?
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

I agree with preventing the user from getting the error message - I was just surprised that the functionality to restrict states is built-in without a better way of handling it for the consumer - I would think by default, if I set a state shipping restriction that state should be removed from the shipping dropdown. So I guess that means putting the state dropdown in manually correct? Billing is still allowed from all states.

Comment

Your assumption wouldn't be a bad feature, and since the list is built somewhat dynamically, its probably doable...but i imagine fairly high level fruit there.

No, you simply remove them from the Menu | Store Setttings | States list.
        Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

But the restriction is only for shipping - since the site is for gifts they want to allow billing from all states. Removing them from the states list takes it off of both shipping and billing correct? So I thought the only other way is to hand code the State Dropdown for Shipping.

Comment

There are a few possible solutions to this problem. Yes, hard-coding the shipping-state menu is one approach. Another possible solution is to use Javascript to remove AK and HI from the menu when the page is displayed to the customer. But these changes will need to be done on the Account page, as well as the checkout page, and possibly in some other places too.

The state menu is generated by a component module, which is a standard part of every store. I can provide a modified version of this module, which will have some new settings or parameters. This will allow you to remove some states from the shipping menu with just a small change to the page templates. It will work for the checkout page, Account page, and any other page where the state menu is displayed. If you're interested in that, you can email or PM me to discuss it in detail.
            Kent Multer
            Magic Metal Productions
            http://TheMagicM.com
            * Web developer/designer
            * E-commerce and Miva
            * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

oh, yea...then that's not going to work. Just copy the current select input, remove hi/al and paste the html back in where the old state list was.
              Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

When I copy the select input it sorta works - but it seems some important functionality is lost - it seems to mess up the "Billing Information Same as Shipping". When you hit the button for "Continue to Shipping" nothing happens and when you untoggle the box "Billing information is same as shipping" the country is not selected (I edited that dropdown as well because Billing can occur from Canada or US).
                Last edited by afiumano; 03-16-20, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X