This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bootstrap Framework for Miva Merchant - Support Thread

With the Bootstrap framework installed, the admin panel no longer works as expected. Here's what's happening.

The category page on my store site doesn't display the thumbnail images on the category page after the framework installation. I check the Products section in the admin and oh okay! The "Thumbnail Image" checkbox isn't checked. Easy enough, problem solved. I tick it and click update.

Refresh category listing. Images still don't show up, even though the product has full-size and thumbnail images assigned (the correct paths - the ones I've successfully used before and verified by checking to make sure the image was there - is displayed on the Edit Product section). I navigate back to the top of the Products section in Admin, and once again, the box is mysteriously unticked. Nonplussed, I try a hail mary... adding a Main Image custom field, to no effect, but it's a moot point, because again when I navigate away from the Products in the admin and back again, the updates I made are gone. (Let me underscore that I clicked "update" every time). This admin page seems to be irrelevant now.

The only way I successfully got an image to show up on the category pages is by adding an "additional image," uploading it again to the server. However, for whatever reason this image is smooshed horizontally (I saw something about image cnstraints somewhew in the admin while I was hunting for a solution, but I lost it. I does't really matter anyway, because this technique adds two additional images to the product page (thus the "additional image" name I suppose) They are identical to the original image and are therefore superfluous. Besides, why would adding an additional image automatically use that image for the category thumbnail, ignoring the file specified in the Edit Product section?

I should point out that the product display shows all the full-sized images just fine.

Is this somehow by design? I have no idea how to get the standard thumbnails onto the category listing pages. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of documentation of Miva's Bootstrap implementation. Perhaps this is done somehow through Bootstrap only, but how? The Miva admin panel is the only way I know of to control these elements.

This should have been the simplest part of what promises to be quite a complicated task. I am seriously stuck! Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Okay, this one was pretty obvious. It's coded directly in the header code. *slaps forehead*

Comment

Rick,

How easy is this to implement on an already existing store? We just re-did our site last year but I may want to try and take advantage of this.
        Sincerely,

Stephen M. LaBar, Jr.
        (770) 441-9447
        The Martial Arts Store

Please Visit Our Site At:
        http://www.themartialartsstore.com

Comment

How easy is this to implement on an already existing store? We just re-did our site last year but I may want to try and take advantage of this.
          Just my two cents, but I don't see this applying to an existing store easily. It is more geared towards fresh builds in our experience. Might be worth getting a dev store setup, applying the framework, then rebuilding your store on top of that.

Comment

Dan is correct, "easy" is relative. You can apply this on top of an existing store in about 30 seconds.

However what that will do is completely overwrite your current look and feel as well as any template code modifications done for third party modules, custom fields, etc...

So as a rule, that's usually not recommended.

If you don't use a lot of modules, custom template code, etc... then I'd still suggest putting it on top of a dev store copy of your live store to see how much work it would be to get it completely ready. You can make all of those changes on your dev site, save it as a Framework and then apply it to your live store.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Just to make sure as long as I backup/save my current Dev sites template I will be able to easily revert to it if I have problems with the bootstrap template/module?
              Sincerely,

Stephen M. LaBar, Jr.
              (770) 441-9447
              The Martial Arts Store

Please Visit Our Site At:
              http://www.themartialartsstore.com

Comment

Just to make sure as long as I backup/save my current Dev sites template I will be able to easily revert to it if I have problems with the bootstrap template/module?
                Technically yes, however I cringe at the thought of hot swapping frameworks back and forth as a backup. As Rick stated, if you have a heavily customized store and/or make extensive use of third party modules, I would refrain from relying on the current dev store framework as a backup.

I also think it should be noted that certain considerations need to be made in terms of applying the dev store framework to the live site once customizations have been completed. Again, the 3rd party module usage and customizations apply, but if you are ultimately transitioning from an MMUI to CSSUI store, a different approach is necessary.

I guess what I am trying to say is refrain from pushing that shiny red button on anything of value. If the dev store contains some customizations/module usage that needs to be kept, I would consider adding a second dev site as a bootstrap sandbox. Implementing this framework, or any other framework, on a live store could be catastrophic if it is not thought through base on the current store setup.

Comment

Question on setting up install.

Is the Skin Customization module compatible with Mia? Below is the error I am seeing.

Miva Merchant has encountered a fatal error and is unable to continue. The following information may assist you in determining the cause of the error:

Error Code: MER-DBP-CTG-00001
                  Description: mysql_execute: Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'parent_id' at row 1
                  Other Information:

Cycle back through and get this when trying a second time to add the module to the store.

This happens when first adding the module to the store(this store has additional stores and is brand new), go to Utils, click on the checkbox and get the error message the initial time.

Miva Merchant has encountered a fatal error and is unable to continue. The following information may assist you in determining the cause of the error:

Error Code: CMP-SKC-00002
                  Description: mysql_execute: Table 's01_skincustomizations' already exists
                  Other Information:

In the same store on the server, the Skin Customization module installs as expected.

Is this just a MIA issue where the module is installed but the checkbox visual is failing? Or is the module not installing.

Thanks,

Scott
                  Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
                  Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
                  MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
                  Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
                  AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
                  My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Hey Scott -

I spoke to our development team on this. That issue is actually a known bug in that module when running MySQL in strict mode. As a temporary fix if you change your MySQL setup not to use strict mode the module should install just fine. If this is a dev store you'll want to start with a clean Miva install since you have an partial installation. If you can't wipe the store, you'll at least want to delete that table should should you to re-install the module.

We will release an updated version of the module to fix this issue soon.
                    Brennan Heyde
                    VP Product
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Not sure how many people have this under attack yet but.... I'm afraid I may have already broken something because I can not get the product page specs tab to work. It shows in the source code but the tab is not appearing. Not sure if it worked out of the box or not?
                      Last edited by Mark Hood; 02-05-14, 12:37 PM.
                      Mark Hood
                      Vermont Gear

Comment

Hey Mark -

Can you Private Message me access to your dev store. I can login and take a look. It should work out of the box as long as the custom field is named correctly.
                        Brennan Heyde
                        VP Product
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
                          Hey Mark -

Can you Private Message me access to your dev store. I can login and take a look. It should work out of the box as long as the custom field is named correctly.
                          done

You were correct it was of course a naming problem on my part because I was changing it to an already existing custom field
                          Last edited by Mark Hood; 02-05-14, 01:26 PM.
                          Mark Hood
                          Vermont Gear

Comment

I had an issue getting Bootstrap seamlessly worked into the design of our site proper, which is built with JQuery Mobile 1.2.1, which requires JQuery 1.8.3., rather than the 1.10 version used by this Bootstrap installation.

On a whim, I decided to plug in the older JQuery version (1.8.3), and so far haven't noticed any real issues, though there have been some puzzling behaviors that may be the result of the downgrade, or simply of trying to get these two similar technologies to play nice together.

Am I going to run into problems with having done this? Is this version of Bootstrap compatible with JQuery 1.8.3, or am I headed for disaster? The header/footer and site content are all responding (though there are some subtle rendering differences and slightly odd behaviors I'm struggling to figure out, and with three or four levels of media query based style sheets, it's probably no wonder), and I haven't tested actually making a purchase yet, but I've gotten pretty far down this road. Hopefully I can continue.

Comment

In my default Bootstrap installation, there is a label in the CEML page code for "Old Email Address," but no associated input field. This is strangely located between the message "please enter your new email address" and the label/field for "New Email Address." If there is no associated field, what is this label for?

I'm looking at the default code from just after the Bootstrap installation, so I know I didn't just delete the field code. What am I missing here? Is this possibly a result of my having downgraded my JQuery version to 1.8.3?

Comment

Originally posted by halfacre View Post
                                In my default Bootstrap installation, there is a label in the CEML page code for "Old Email Address," but no associated input field. This is strangely located between the message "please enter your new email address" and the label/field for "New Email Address." If there is no associated field, what is this label for?

I'm looking at the default code from just after the Bootstrap installation, so I know I didn't just delete the field code. What am I missing here? Is this possibly a result of my having downgraded my JQuery version to 1.8.3?
                                When logged in and going to the CEML page it is showing my current email address.
                                If you simply go to the page while not logged in the field is empty so I expect this doesn't have anything to do with jquery but just that you are not logged in?
                                Last edited by Mark Hood; 02-08-14, 08:42 AM.
                                Mark Hood
                                Vermont Gear

Comment

Working...
                                X