Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LESS/SASS/COMPASS - The One Sheet

A Q for the devs of the bootstrap theme (or anyone else) -

When you built this awesome framework (I had been dreading the task of building something like this) did you happen to do so using the LESS/SASS for compiling? Generally, it's easier to keep track of screen based styles and manage stylesheets with a pre-processor. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to reverse engineer an SCSS or LESS setup with the seperated media queries, but I know that if you guys compiled the css from LESS or SASS that if you shared that stuff it would be invaluable.

If you intend for people to really take this framework and develop good, awesome e-commerce sites with it, it will be instrumental.

At first it seems like just another step to the process, but once you've seen the math power of LESS or Compass, and how it can help you not only to organize your responsive site configuration but to handle complex calculations or store color/size/shape/rulesets, and to even generate sprites from a directory of images, making your site in general just a heck of a lot more efficient.

I can't rave enough about how as a front end coder my life has been improved by adopting SASS/Compass.

I'd be willing to work with LESS if it were included too, because it's just that much better than using straight CSS.

It's powerful stuff that's built in with Bootstrap, so I was hoping that you used it to build this framework and might be willing to share those files. They will make a world of difference and save so much time in the future.

The chaos of media queries alone makes me cry without them. You did an excellent job documenting the styles, but there's really no reason to load multiple stylesheets when one minified sheet will rule them all and in the compass bind them.

Mike

Re: LESS/SASS/COMPASS - The One Sheet

I understand the enthusiasm for LASS/SASS...but bear in mind that a good percentage of those who touch the style elements of any storefront (CSSUI/Bootstrap/etc) are store owners...some of who are still struggling with CSS (or even basic HTML). So, I see this as, at best an offshoot. As you may have noticed, Merchant is setup in a way that you (or you and others) could build a LASS/SASS Bootstrap and use it in place of the 'standard' one with little additional work outside of actually creating the initial framework.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

We use LESS extensively for our framework operations, definitely speeds up the front end development process when implemented properly. Agree it's not for the end user in most cases, but it is usually not the norm for them to see any of it anyways. More of an internal/dev tool. I remember asking this of Miva Merchant when they were pushing out the bootstrap beta, and they said it might be a possibility in future releases.

That said, wouldn't be hard to implement for the bootstrap framework yourself.

Comment

We currently did not use any CSS pre-processor for this. The stylesheet is plain old CSS.

We do have future plans to incorporate a CSS pre-processor at some point in the future. However Dan is right you could do it yourself locally to speed up CSS changes if you wanted.

Long term, the ideal setup is to have the pre-processor tools configured on the server so you can push up the files and have it compiled automatically but there are some architecture/toolset things we would need to think though to make that happen.

When we do change over to use a CSS pre-processor we'll be sure to make all the assets available to everyone here to they can leverage them.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
          When we do change over to use a CSS pre-processor we'll be sure to make all the assets available to everyone here to they can leverage them.
          Hi Brennan,

Appreciate the response.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X