• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Zimmermann View Post
    Hi Leslie,

While there are a number of improvements that could be made, I am not seeing mvga.js causing any particular issue with this site, on the desktop; mobile seems to always flag it, however it is of minor importance. I would recommend upgrading the version of jQuery being used and determine if jQueryUI is still necessary.
    Thanks - PageSpeed Insights is ripping this page a new one. It's not a Bootstrap Framework, so any additional questions and/or comments probably need to be in a new thread.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Zimmermann
    replied
    Hi Leslie,

While there are a number of improvements that could be made, I am not seeing mvga.js causing any particular issue with this site, on the desktop; mobile seems to always flag it, however it is of minor importance. I would recommend upgrading the version of jQuery being used and determine if jQueryUI is still necessary.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Can you post a link to the site you are dealing with?
    Yes, go here.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Zimmermann
    replied
    Can you post a link to the site you are dealing with?

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Hi Leslie,

Are you referring to mvga.js or something else?
    Yes, the mvga.js (for this specific post).

Leave a comment:

• Matt Zimmermann
    replied
    Hi Leslie,

Are you referring to mvga.js or something else?

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    I want to come back to this as it continues to be an issue as much as we wish it were not.

With all of the latest updates - is there now a way to defer and/or async this without breaking the site?

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
    At the end of the day, this is about an HTML file. How that file gets created is basically immaterial. (Same as SEO.)
    It also continues to be a moving target that even Google isn't pinning down https://www.practicalecommerce.com/m...more-important

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
    At the end of the day, this is about an HTML file. How that file gets created is basically immaterial. (Same as SEO.)
    Yup, just with a little more server overhead and a few extra files here and there.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce - PhosphorMedia
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    That's a really good idea. It would be even better to find one that understands Miva.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce - PhosphorMedia
    replied
    It *might* be more worthwhile to find an authority -- hopefully from Google themselves -- that explains how things like Web Page Speed Tests are "suggestions" only. Every single item they (and others) point out, have upsides/downsides. Even stuff as basic as image compression. Compress too much, get crappy looking product images, compress too little, eat up time.

Just went through this with a client using an outside search feature. Script WAS in the footer (to improve overall download speed), client complained about a half-second delay when getting search results, so I have to move the script back into the header.

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    If you are referring to the Google Analytics script tag which it inserts into the HEAD of the page, it does so as async on its own. I

The only recourse I have found would be to host the file locally

Isn't is a script a local file - mvga.js

Leave a comment:

• Matt Zimmermann
    replied
    If you are referring to the Google Analytics script tag which it inserts into the HEAD of the page, it does so as async on its own. I have done research into this tag an it affecting actual page loads. What I have found is it has minimal impact although it gets flagged by Google's own page speed tests. The only recourse I have found would be to host the file locally, however this presents its own issues as you would then have to perform updates to the script as Google makes changes.

As for better control over document.write, take a look at this article: https://blog.dareboost.com/en/2016/0...pts-injection/

Leave a comment:

• lesliekirk
    replied
    Hi Leslie,

You could try setting the script tags to "async" and/or "defer", depending on browser support, or move the scripts to the bottom of the page unless, of course, they are referred to before the end of the page.
    The reason I'm circling back on this is because using either of these tags breaks the store in some shape or fashion. The defer tag on the mvga.js broke Google Analytics (it stopped reporting). Using the async tag on some of the other javascript files made a disaster of the site in various browsers (It seems to dislike Edge/IE the most). The site didn't want to load on Android mobile devices.

But the bigger issue are all the third party resources that Google tells you to fix but you have no control over - how do you add a defer / async tag to a file that in "document.write" script?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X