• Time
  • Show
Clear All

convert dates and times in 12hour format into time_t value

Hi All,

I have data that has date and times info like so:

1/21/2012 2:56:58AM
    1/21/2012 3:09:32PM

I can use mktime_t to convert this to a time_t value I think (after chopping the data into the correct chunks). The only thing is the AM and PM formatting. mktime_t would want the input in military format I believe. Does anyone have any handy code snippets for converting 12hour time formats to 24hour?

Thanks,
    Last edited by Southlander; 01-22-12, 08:50 AM.
    Sean Harrell
    Southland Trade Corp.

Re: convert dates and times in 12hour format into time_t value

Hi there Sean, haven't heard from you since '04. Glad to see your still scripting!

What about something like "if PM then + 12" on the hour?

Jonathan

Comment

Hey there Jonathan. Good to hear from you. Yes, that would work fine. Thanks for the tip.
      Sean Harrell
      Southland Trade Corp.

Comment

These functions return date and time strings.

With some small effort Format_Time() could be adopted by storing the following in a variable and adding a few conditionals.

time_t_hour(l.time_val, l.time_zone)

Code:
        <MvFUNCTION NAME="Format_Date" PARAMETERS="time_val" STANDARDOUTPUTLEVEL="">    <MvASSIGN NAME="l.time_zone" VALUE="{ timezone() }">
            <MvFUNCRETURN VALUE="{
                    padl(time_t_month(l.time_val, l.time_zone),2,'0') $ '/' $
                    padl(time_t_dayofmonth(l.time_val, l.time_zone),2,'0') $ '/'
                    $ time_t_year(l.time_val, l.time_zone) }">
        </MvFUNCTION>

<MvFUNCTION NAME="Format_Time" PARAMETERS="time_val" STANDARDOUTPUTLEVEL="">
                <MvASSIGN NAME="l.time_zone" VALUE="{ timezone() }">
            <MvFUNCRETURN VALUE="{
                padl(time_t_hour(l.time_val, l.time_zone),2,'0') $ ':' $
                padl(time_t_min(l.time_val, l.time_zone),2,'0') $ ':' $
                padl(time_t_sec(l.time_val, l.time_zone),2,'0') }">
        </MvFUNCTION>
        FYI If you are doing this in the context of a Merchant page template, Toolbelt has exhaustive date time formatting and conversion functions.
        Last edited by RayYates; 01-22-12, 08:46 PM.
        Ray Yates
        "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
        --- Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by RayYates View Post
          FYI If you are doing this in the context of a Merchant page template, Toolbelt has exhaustive date time formatting and conversion functions.
          Thanks Ray. No this is not Merchant related. It is a standalone script app I am writing to import some point of sale data and do some custom analysis. Our POS exports flatfile data and formats the date/time of the transactions in the above mentioned manner. So I am wanting to do the following: (appreciate any advice on whether my approach is bad or not)

Covert the date/time in this format (1/21/2012 2:56:58AM) to a time_t value. Then load that into an array that is indexed on that time_t value so that I can build an ordered list of transactions from earliest to latest. Apply the analysis logic, which depends on the transactions being sorted in order, and then covert from time_t back to a mm/dd/yyyy xx:xx:xx am/pm format to output report data in a human readable format. Sound ok?

Thanks,
          Sean
          Sean Harrell
          Southland Trade Corp.

Comment

When you convert to time_t, why do you need to lose the original value of human readable time? Couldn't you store both?

Also, unless you really need to, you don't have to convert to time_t. You're already parsing the date/time, why not just reconstruct the string as yyyy $ mm $ dd $ (hh * ((l.meridian EQ 'PM')*12)) $ mm $ ss? Make sure to '0'-pad everything to keep it all consistent.

Typing out loud...

Comment

I am intending to use time_t because I am not storing any of this imported data into a database (where a DATE field type can be create and indexed upon). I will just suck it all into an array and sort it numerically based on time_t. I will have the original human readable date and time loaded into variables obviously to do the conversion. So then when I say convert back, I really just mean eval that original variable set to get the report printout while using the equivalent time_t value just for sorting. This seems more efficient to me than somehow sorting an array based on xx/xx/xxxx tt:tt:tt am/pm. In fact I am not even sure how one would do that without sorting date, then sub-sorting the time after converting from 12hr to 24hr. Just seems more complex than time_t.
              Sean Harrell
              Southland Trade Corp.

Comment

From looking at the links that refer to time on mivascript.com,
                http://www.mivascript.com/topic/system-variables.html
                http://www.mivascript.com/item/mivas...me_t_hour.html
                http://www.mivascript.com/item/mivas...ions/padl.html

it looks like I can build a current military time using something like this...
                Code:
                <mvt:assign name="g.curr_hour" value="padl(s.dyn_tm_hour,2,0)" />
                <mvt:assign name="g.curr_min" value="padl(s.dyn_tm_min,2,0)" />
                &mvt:global:curr_hour;&mvt:global:curr_min;

Comment

Working...
                X