Plesk 8.1 and Miva engine 3.9301

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plesk 8.1 and Miva engine 3.9301

I am having to install our Miva which is not compiled and having older scripts. It is using engine ver 3.9301

Which version of Miva Empressa has to be installed? I understand Plesk 8.2 comes with Empressa V5? Is there anyone who has dealt with this type of a setup?
    Linux Rehat V5 along with the latest ver of Apache.

Re: Plesk 8.1 and Miva engine 3.9301

Miva Engine and Miva Empresa is the same thing, so if you have v3.9301 - I think you just answered your own question. :-)

In general, which version of MivaVM (aka Miva Engine or Miva Empresa) you need to install depends on the version of Miva Merchant running on the domain. If you let us know which version of Miva Merchant you plan on running, we can then tell which MivaVM version would work best with it.

BTW, you may want to upgrade that Plesk 8.1 to 8.4... 8.1 is terribly old and has some issues.

Comment

My bad,
      It is plesk 8.2 and running Miva Merchant Version 4.3. With the Mivan Engine v3.9301... But remember, like i said the scripting in some of the work we had done is so old it will not compile without bombing out. So I will need an engine that Plesk 8.2 will play nicely with....

Thanks

Comment

Plesk 8.2 is also quite old and should be upgraded.

There's no such thing as Miva Merchant v4.3 - the last release in the v4.x line was v4.24.

Plesk doesn't care which version of MivaVM (Miva Engine, Miva Empresa) you run. We have everything from v2.x to v5.x running, with a very wide range of MivaVM across the board, with some sites using more than one version for their specific needs (for example, compiled MivaVM for their online store, but older uncompiled Empresa for their own in-house scripts). All versions of MivaVM/Empresa work just fine on Plesk, so there's no such thing as a specific version "playing nicely." Pick the version that works with your storefront (Miva Merchant), or which you need for your scripts. They ALL work.

Comment

Originally posted by dotCOM_host View Post
          Plesk 8.2 is also quite old and should be upgraded.

There's no such thing as Miva Merchant v4.3 - the last release in the v4.x line was v4.24.

Plesk doesn't care which version of MivaVM (Miva Engine, Miva Empresa) you run. We have everything from v2.x to v5.x running, with a very wide range of MivaVM across the board, with some sites using more than one version for their specific needs (for example, compiled MivaVM for their online store, but older uncompiled Empresa for their own in-house scripts). All versions of MivaVM/Empresa work just fine on Plesk, so there's no such thing as a specific version "playing nicely." Pick the version that works with your storefront (Miva Merchant), or which you need for your scripts. They ALL work.
          Well when you first log into the Miva Administrator this is what is at the top of the screen.

Miva Merchant v4.13
          Miva Engine v3.9301

So which version of Empressa should I be using? And since Plesk 8.2 is setup will they not conflict cause Plesk 8.2 has Empressa v5 installed. How would I go about using an earlier version of Empressa?

Comment

Well, your store is telling you it's running Miva Engine v3.9301. If that works for you, then leave it at that. There are several different versions of Empresa v3.9xxx, some worked better than others, but if the version you have works well - stick with it.

As far as installing Empresa on Plesk - you do not have to use the built in v5 that it comes with (we don't use it at all, as an example). You can install Empresa on a per-domain basis by placing files in the cgi-bin directory and editing Apache config or vhost files accordingly. While not Plesk-specific, the install info is included in the Empresa documentation and provided you specify correct paths, it works fine with all versions of Empresa and all versions of Plesk.

Comment

Do you see any problems with just trying to use what I have with Ver 5 of Empressa? Even though the scripts are old and not compiled?

Comment

The new Empresa v5 will only run compiled scripts (with .mvc extensions). For uncompiled scripts (with .mv extensions) you will need the older Empresa you currently have.

Comment

Then I am in a pickle.
                  Looks like either I need to compile the older scripts and have what ever bombs out updated, or I have to figure out how to remove Empressa V5 from Plesk (now ver 8.3) and then install Empressa ver 3.9301.

If someone is interested in helping me out of this snafu I would be able to compensate them for their time. I am a Network Administrator and do not specialize in database scripting or Miva. In the past a supposedly reputable developer just stopped returning calls and emails with no real reason. I have been able to handle the basic changes to the look/feel part of the site and the products etc. But this is over my head. Please feel to PM me.

Out of respect for the Forums, I do not want to start a flame war I just need someone with experience with dealing with Plesk and configuring an older version of Miva to work on our new server. Our old server is at 96% capcity on the drives and it's time to move.
                  Last edited by Nitronaught; 05-08-08, 04:52 AM.

Comment

You do not need to uninstall the Empresa that comes pre-installed with Plesk. You can run multiple versions of Empresa on the same server, even on the same domain. If you take a look at the Empresa install documentation, simply follow the instructions on installing it in the cgi-bin directory of the domain you need it on. The install process is identical for all versions, old and new (new, v5, adds support for mySQL and requires an extra 3 lines in the config file, but that's about it). You can run Empresa v3.9x and v5.x on the very same domain, one handling uncompiled .mv scripts, the other handling compiled .mvc scripts.

I think you are overthinking this, or have not looked at the Empresa install docs to see how this works. If you still need help and someone to install different version of Empresa on a particular domain - contact me off-list.
                    Last edited by d_host; 05-08-08, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Ha, if Plesk 8.1 is old i guess thats not saying much for my host that uses Plesk 7.5
                      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by imnotinsane View Post
                        Ha, if Plesk 8.1 is old i guess thats not saying much for my host that uses Plesk 7.5
                        No comment. :-)

Comment

I had sent an email off to [email protected] so I can get a copy of Empresa 3.9301 I have no docs on the install and configuration of this. Hoping that comes with the download...

Comment

Working...
                          X