Custom Global Include

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Global Include

I've always wanted the ability to create my own blocks of code that could be included on any page - basically the same as the built-in global HEAD Tag Content, HTML Profile, etc, that I could use for whatever I wanted. So yesterday I grabbed a copy of the LSK and found the HTML Profile module, and made a few minor changes and recompiled it as my own module. I basically just renamed "HTML Profile" to "MyGlobalCode" for the most part.

I installed it on a dev site and it works just fine. I did notice that it wouldn't show up under User Interface > Settings until after I created the User Interface Item. Once that was created, it showed up and allowed the block of code to be modified etc.

Another minor issue is that I can't uninstall it, it reports that it's in use even after I've deleted the User Interface Item.

Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about this type of thing. I've never written my own Miva module before, but this is really just an edit of the HTML Profile module anyway. Is there anything I should do to make sure it doesn't crap out after the next Miva update or something?

Looking for work as of March 2024! I've been a web developer for going on 20 years, with most of that time spent on Miva sites.

You're good to go - you're now a module developer :) You can also create blocks of code on new store pages and then use SMT to render them. You can also use modules such as ProContent to create many reusable blocks of code, or use readytheme content for reusable blocks of code if you're using a readytheme store.
    M.A.D.* since 1997

http://www.scotsscripts.com

*miva application developers

Comment

Thanks Scot - actually I was looking at the ProContent module yesterday and figured I'd grab a copy if this doesn't work : ) I do use custom blocks of code for store pages, that works great, I think I set them up using mv-content or something like that. Haven't done it in a while.

We're not using a readytheme store - I think that came around after our last redesign, so maybe on our next redesign I'll give that a shot.

Anyway thanks for the info!
      Looking for work as of March 2024! I've been a web developer for going on 20 years, with most of that time spent on Miva sites.

Comment

Whats the difference between ProContent versus Miva's Content Section?
        Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

ProContent is more convenient because you can access your content on any category, product, or page that you're on instead of navigating back to the readytheme content dashboard.

ProContent also lets you assign content based on product, page, and category. ProContent also has a lot of other features such as loading a group of products and displaying them (like a custom category) or rotating content like banners or ads. Some of the older ProContent features are not as useful as they once were because of SMT and how we can call all the miva functions right in a store page, but I still use it quite a bit on my own site.

I originally made the module so I could create a lot of little content bits for my products, including specialized seo, headers, footers, and spread them around the page instead of having everything in the product display area.

ProContet is also very useful for creating clean page templates with page item content calls which get rid of four screens of code and make templates easy to deal with.

There is a new version I'm getting ready to release, probably early next week.

I just put out a new module called Readytheme Content Wizard which is similar to procontent in that you can access content anywhere in the store, however it's purpose is to let you create replacement content based on page, product, or category, along with various ways of displaying it and scheduling the display (for holiday events and whatnot.)
          M.A.D.* since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Mike521w View Post
            I've always wanted the ability to create my own blocks of code that could be included on any page - basically the same as the built-in global HEAD Tag Content, HTML Profile, etc, that I could use for whatever I wanted.

ReadyTheme has an inbuilt function for that. ReadyTheme -> Content Section

When content is created, you can use it anywhere you want.
            <mvt:item name="readytheme" param="contentsection( 'name_you_have_given' )" />

ReadyTheme items must be selected for the page in order to paste content

Comment

Originally posted by AHerb View Post

ReadyTheme has an inbuilt function for that. ReadyTheme -> Content Section....
              True, but there are several downsides to using ReadyTheme Content Sections...the main one being that they insert an HTML div wrapper around anything in that content...which, if you where trying to use for say some custom HEAD area content makes it a no go. :)

Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Another reason why ProContent is so gosh darn cool :)
                M.A.D.* since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post

True, but there are several downsides to using ReadyTheme Content Sections...the main one being that they insert an HTML div wrapper around anything in that content...which, if you where trying to use for say some custom HEAD area content makes it a no go. :)
                  wow! never noticed that until now!

Miva guys, how about an extra checkbox "do not wrap" my content? ...or... a checkbox "do not convert my content into MIVA content" ? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AHerb View Post

wow! never noticed that until now!

Miva guys, how about an extra checkbox "do not wrap" my content? ...or... a checkbox "do not convert my content into MIVA content" ? :-)
                    agreed!

Comment

Or you could get my new module, Content Wizard, which displays readytheme content without any wrappers and also gives you options to replace readytheme content based on page, product, category, as well as scheduling when default or replacement content appears in your store - https://www.scotsscripts.com/product/contentwizard.html
                      M.A.D.* since 1997

Comment

Working...
                      X