Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scot - ScotsScripts.com
    replied
    AH, that's what those ifdefs I see are. Thanks for the explanation, finally puts it together for me.

Leave a comment:

• ids
    replied
    Hey Scot,

Code:
    <MvCOMMENT>-SDS-- </MvCOMMENT>
    <MvIFDEF NAME="SOUTHBOUND">
            Some specific code here
    </MvIFDEF>
    This is basically how I compile a module, -D when I need to do or include something specific somewhere in the code, even inside a function. My tools module is a great example because it's actually a real module where I can be specific if the module is needed for a client build and don't want to include any prototype functions or functions that would never apply.

Code:
    mvc -D SOUTHBOUND -o ids_tools.mvc myproj.mv
    With multiple -D capability, which I never realized available I can now do this:

Code:
    mvc -D SOUTHBOUND -D SHOWJSONVARS -o ids_tools.mvc myproj.mv
    This is the myproj.mv:

Code:
    <MvINCLUDE FILE="file1.mv">
    <MvINCLUDE FILE="schedtasks.mv">
    <MvINCLUDE FILE="core.mv">
    <MvINCLUDE FILE="required.mv">
    The compiler does a great job of telling what file and line # it detected an error.

I haven't organized any project this way -- yet, but as you suggest, I will be considering using MvIFDEF in the project file in the future.

It's all very flexible. Flexibility is needed when I have many old projects that never had any organization and everything was a "make-from" based project. Also, IMO, there would be a lot of work with code and files and adjusting a MAKE File if I decided to try and use something that again. IFDEF and INCLUDES have made it easier to resurrect much of that older code and there is less re-inventing of the wheel. Still, are there better ways? Likely...

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Scot - ScotsScripts.com
    replied
    Scott, will you give me an example of a scenario in which you are using the -D flag to compile different code for different clients? Is it kind of like using the MvINCLUDE tag but having different sets of include files based on what you need for the particular integration?

Leave a comment:

• ids
    replied
    Initially, it would be for debugging code. But, as I do more integration services, the module portion sometimes needs targeted code that is specific to the client. Instead of having multiple versions of the module, I use it to keep everything in one set of source code. I needed multiple symbols to be able to compile debug and/or targeted versions. I can then control what is compiled via batch files. For me, it's more straightforward than creating branches in a version control system for instance because it's usually not "core" functions that need to be included or not included in the compiled module.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• dcarver
    replied
    Curiosity

Leave a comment:

• ids
    replied
    Are you asking why as a use case or curiosity?

Thanks. Yes, I just realized, if you leave out the -D before the second symbol the compiler is looking for a folder that doesn't exist.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• dcarver
    replied
    Why are you defining so many tokens in your program? The correct syntax would be mvc -D token1 -D token2 ... file.mv

Leave a comment:

• Bruce - PhosphorMedia
    replied
    for what its worth, none of my batch files I use for compiling have brackets around anything.

Leave a comment:

• ids
    started a topic compiler question

compiler question

I am not finding the compiler manual in the docs. Seems like it should be simple, but it really isn't explicit IMO.

I find I am using -D more and more.
    Code:
    mvc -D SYMBOL[-D ANOTHER_SYMBOL] source.mv
    What is the correct command line syntax?

Is it:
    Code:
    -D sympbol1 symbol2
    or
    Code:
    -D sympbol1 -D symbol2
    I've assumed the square brackets aren't included.

Scott

Working...
X