JS comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JS comments

I was adding some simple JS directly to a brand new page, no component items even, on a dev store, v5.35 Empressa. I had some comments using the //. The script wouldn't fire. I Was getting an "unknown token" type error. Script ran as expected when I removed all the comments from the script. Is there a solution to being able to retain the comments?

The raw html/script runs nicely with the comments without running through Empressa.

Is this new for Empressa v5.35? Or, a bug maybe? I am fairly sure I've been able to add comments to a script in prior versions.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Can you post your entire script or at least a section of it where it works without the comment and doesn't work with the comment?
    David Carver
    Miva, Inc. | Software Developer

Comment

Hey David,

I put the comments back in and I can't repro this issue right now. Maybe when I pasted the JS into the page there was a character that isn't handled by Empressa and killed the script's execution or the complete script isn't rendered by Empressa?

I'll let you know if I run into the issue again.

Scott

Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
      Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
      MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
      Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
      My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

We don't have any limitations within Empresa in terms of handling characters. It probably had a an extra character somewhere or invalid syntax somewhere in the script would be my bet.
        David Carver

Comment

I've run into similar issues, in my case the problem was usually that whitespace got removed, so the single-line comment accidentally commented out the following lines. Something like:

Code:
          // this is a comment
          let x = 5;
          becomes

Code:
          // this is a comment let x = 5;
          after newlines are removed.
          Looking for work as of March 2024! I've been a web developer for going on 20 years, with most of that time spent on Miva sites.

Comment

That's to be expected if you are rendering that code as HTML. Newlines in HTML are rendered as a space. That shouldn't stop JS from working. If I put your code example in a script tag and do an alert( x ), I get an alert with a value of 5 which I would expect. I'd imagine if you looked at the source of the generated template you'd see the newline is still there after the comment.
            David Carver

Comment

Hi dcarver , I see what you mean. I remember now that this happened to me on attribute prompts. I frequently put scripts into the prompts for various reasons, and if I have a comment in the script, it messes everything up. In this case it's actually happening on input, when I paste the entire prompt into the prompt field it gets turned into one long line. Then when I click update and the script gets commented out.
              Looking for work as of March 2024! I've been a web developer for going on 20 years, with most of that time spent on Miva sites.

Comment

Working...
              X