Display: grid -- Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display: grid -- Maybe?

I understand that the flexbox grid is better supported by older browsers, but as this theme is looking to be more 'evergreen' might it be useful to have a CSS Grid option? Setup a group of default named grid areas, and then the child elements could also be grids ... grids all the way down. ;)

This seems like it would allow for easier placement and manipulation of the child elements.

This is not to throw any shade over the flex-grid. I like it a lot and find it really helpful. I just wonder if this could further simplify some of the more complex layouts people are working on.

This is not a minor undertaking, as it would be a major shift in the design language and syntax of the ReadyTheme. Maybe it could be a co-theme, like "Grid of Shadows" and "Shadows"? :thinking emoji:

This is something I have been pondering. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will come to realization until IE11 is no longer showing in store analytics.
    Matt Zimmermann
    Front-End Development Director / Miva, Inc.

Comment

What about a some progressive enhancement of the flex grid? -- https://www.smashingmagazine.com/201...-without-grid/

Comment

One metric that gets overlooked when researching 'browser support' is 'who is really your customer'.

Last time I did this was for a site that was still polling 5-6% of 'older browsers' such as IE10 and Safari 6.0. something.

However, when we checked who actually PURCHASED...there was basically nothing below 'recent' browsers (> .05%). So, the client agreed that spending extra money or losing additional functionality to support, what that that time was maybe 5K of annual 'gross' was a dumb idea.

Note that this has to be done on a case by case basis. In this case, the product sold was a premium product sold mostly to professionals. But for the most part, unless your customers skew older / non-tech base, worrying about legacy browsers can be a waste of time.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce - PhosphorMedia - Very true. Since Shadows ships with Miva now, I only have to wait for IE11 to be at a low enough, global, usage level to pull the trigger. Hopefully that will be reached by this time next year.

cpp-dev - That is what I was thinking of, for now. Probably some utility classes to take care of the basics. Then, developers can expand upon it as needed for their sites.
          Matt Zimmermann
          Front-End Development Director / Miva, Inc.

Comment

Working...
          X