Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Path to learning MivaScript/MVT via other languages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Path to learning MivaScript/MVT via other languages?

Is there a language that is comparable to MivaScript/MVT?

Why would I want this?
    I find that I struggle to understand the Miva Docs, as they seem written assuming a base level knowledge. This is fine, but I need to acquire said knowledge, and the syntax does not seem to follow what little JavaScript I know. So I'm hoping that maybe there is another well known language that maybe has more beginner friendly docs that I can learn from.

I'd say the XML style code that MVT has is similar to Adobe's ColdFusion. Similar...
    Colin Puttick
    Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Thanks dreamingdigital , I'll check it out! And also, thanks for pointing out it has a XML like style, I bet I can also leverage that to better understand what the docs are trying to tell me.

Comment

The docs.miva pages indeed do have a level of expected knowledge. But the reference or context IMO is that the docs are not trying to teach you how to program with Mivascript. The context is more for how to apply and use the language and API for the Miva Merchant application. Also, There is a different level of understanding needed to write modules if that is where you want to end up.

This site is more of a Mivascript language reference. There are examples which can aid in learning the language.

http://www.mivascript.com/

Hope This Helps

Scott
        Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
        Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
        MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
        Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
        AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
        My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Thanks ids I'm not yet to the point of module building. I'm mainly wanting to get to the point that the docs.miva.com pages are not a frustrating opaque block of text.

It sounds like step one is to solidify the programming basics, and from there work on the specific syntax of MivaScript/MVT (er I guess that's StoreMorph?).

Comment

Yep I think that is your plan.

Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
            Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
            MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
            Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
            AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
            My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

IMO, SMT coding (a subset of MivaScript) is not much different than any other scripting language. I think Scott had it right when he pointed out that you are battling CONTEXT as well as substance of skills.

One section (i don't think it searchable anymore) that might help is this one:

https://docs.miva.com/template-langu...ement-examples

Tool Kit was an collection of 'features' and tools for miva before the days of an expanded SMT code base. Going through these examples, might help gain you the context you are missing. The other thing (which i don't have a reference for and unfortunately don't have the time to document myself is the whole 'environment' thing. Things like where does all the l.setting variables get set and how to work with them.

Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

I'll spend some more time in those examples; see how I do. Thank you both Bruce - PhosphorMedia & ids

Comment

Working...
                X