documenting different ways to get a comma delimited string into an array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

documenting different ways to get a comma delimited string into an array

Playing around tonight and searching the forums for some help. I thought I'd put all the info in one spot about taking a comma delimited string and putting it into an array. That way, in the future, I will find this info when I'm looking for it ('cause I forget stuff all the time) and it might help someone else too.

I do have a question too. What is what is the preferred way to do this in Miva 9 and are there more ways or better ways?

Code:
    <mvt:assign name="l.settings:wcwstuff" value="'some,foo,magic,stuff,makes,a,list,like,this'" />

<BR>
    Array_FromList
    <pre>
     <mvt:item name="ry_toolbelt" param="Array_FromList|l.all_settings:wcwmssgs|l.all_settings:wcwstuff" />
    <mvt:foreach iterator="wcwmssg" array="wcwmssgs">    
            &mvt:wcwmssg;
    </mvt:foreach>
    </pre>

<BR>
    miva_array_deserialize with toolbelt assign
    <pre>
    <mvt:item name="ry_toolbelt" param="assign|l.all_settings:wcwmssgs2|miva_array_deserialize(l.all_settings:wcwstuff)" />

<mvt:foreach iterator="wcwmssg2" array="wcwmssgs2">  
            &mvt:wcwmssg2;
    </pre>

<BR>
    miva_array_deserialize with mvt assign
    <pre>
    <mvt:assign name="l.settings:wcwmssgs2" value="miva_array_deserialize(l.settings:wcwstuff)" />
    <mvt:foreach iterator="wcwmssg2" array="wcwmssgs2">  
            &mvt:wcwmssg2;

<BR>
    miva_splitstring
    <pre>
    <mvt:assign name="l.settings:csv" value="'star wars,hi mom!,master yoda,miva docs yay, this example is courtesy of,the,dreamingdigital,pirate'" />
    <mvt:assign name="l.settings:count" value="miva_splitstring( l.settings:csv, ',', l.settings:csv_arr, '' )" />
    &mvt:count; items in that csv var, yo.
    <mvt:foreach iterator="x" array="csv_arr">
    &mvt:x;

</pre>

</pre>

<BR>
    do library utlity SplitString
    <pre>
    <mvt:assign name="l.settings:wcwmssgs2" value="miva_array_deserialize(l.settings:wcwstuff)" />

<mvt:do file="g.Module_Library_Utilities" name="l.success" value="SplitString(l.settings:wcwstuff, ',', l.settings:wcwmssgs3)" />

<mvt:foreach iterator="wcwmssg3" array="wcwmssgs3">  
            &mvt:wcwmssg3;
    </pre>
    Last edited by kayakbabe; 10-23-19, 08:35 AM.

Code:
    <MvASSIGN NAME="l.array" VALUE="{ miva_array_deserialize(l.CommaDelimitedString) }">
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Why are you not using miva_splitstring() function?
      Colin Puttick
      Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

'cause i don't know how to use it. the documentation is pretty slim. Can you give an example? I'll edit my post and add it.

Comment

<mvt:assign name="l.settings:csv" value="'star wars,hi mom!,master yoda,miva docs yay'" />
          <mvt:assign name="l.settings:count" value="miva_splitstring( l.settings:csv_arr, ',', l.settings:csv, '' )" />
          &mvt:count; items in that csv var, yo.
          <mvt:foreach iterator="x" array="csv_arr">
          &mvt:x;
          Colin Puttick

Comment

1 items in that csv var, yo. ARR! That helped MATEY!
            just a tweek and it works.. i'm putting in above.

Comment

took a guess on that one lol.
              Colin Puttick

Comment

kayakbabe next you need to figure out how to deal with commas in the comma data - like a CSV Decode, and loop through that without getting messed up by those commas that are within the "" quoted fields. Yup, I'm interested in that.
                Colin Puttick

Comment

I'm admittedly lazy. I would actually delimit with a pipe character probably. glosub "," and replace with | and then split the string on the | . Then commas inside the quoted fields wouldn't matter. Would also have to strip off the preceeding and last " before splitting the string too.

That's how I used to handle exports from old merchant before it had real csv export.
                  Last edited by kayakbabe; 10-23-19, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I have to deal with a supplier CSV soon so that's why I'm wondering. And I can't glosub all , with | because the , within the quoted csv fields would get transformed to | and the data breaks. Miva knows how because they let us import proper CSV now, and there is a CSV encode function, but I don't see a CSV decode function. https://docs.miva.com/template-language/read-csv-file that example isn't good enough. I wonder if the LSK has the import functions in it and we can reverse engineer that. Ugg. Why?! :)
                    Colin Puttick

Comment

that is a poor example. sure would be nice if they at least gave an example of what the credit.csv contents looked like.

Comment

Are you wanting to automate the product import add/update? that scraping images if they feed you an image url and stuff.. maybe you'd want to pre-process them with php or something like that so you can get the image into your import folder like is done with provisioning.

Comment

yes to previous comment. no to needing php. can't talk details. :P
                          Colin Puttick

Comment

You can glosub the delimiting commas with the quotes glosub( g.mystring,'","','|') if they use | in their data.... try using tilde ~ or find some esoteric weird extended ascii character no one uses as your delimiter instead.

Comment

Thanks for documenting this. I had to change a little bit but here is what I ended up with:
                              Code:
                              <mvt:item name="customfields" param="Read_Product_Code( l.settings:product:code, 'bullet_list', l.settings:bullet_list )" />
                              <mvt:assign name="l.settings:csv" value="l.settings:bullet_list" />
                              <mvt:do file="g.Module_Library_Utilities" value="miva_splitstring( l.settings:csv, ',', l.settings:csv_arr, '' )" />
                              <ul>
                              <mvt:foreach iterator="item" array="csv_arr">
                              <li>&mvt:item;</li>
                              </ul>
                              Highly caffeinated
                              http://www.coffeehouseexpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X