Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW: eBook DRM Service and SoftGoods Update v5.024

Hi Miva Merchants,

I'm happy to announce a bunch of new features for the eMediaSales SoftGoods module, but most importantly, we have launched a new service that provides full DRM for eBook publishers. Our DRM Publisher service allows you to sell digitally signed E-Books (PDF or EPUB format) from your SoftGoods enabled Miva Merchant 5 store.

Here's a quick overview of how DRM works for eBooks connected to SoftGoods:
    • DRM protected downloads appear to the consumer just like any other download, however they must have a compatible e-Book Reader to open the DRM protected product. These are available free from Adobe, the Android Market (Aldiko), and the Apple AppStore (DLReader).
    • Publisher will receive a login to our DRM Management Console to upload unsigned PDF or EPUB files. We will package the book for licensed distribution.
    • Our system will provide a unique identifier (urn:uuid) for the licensed product, and the store owner will put this code into the SoftGoods module instead of uploading the file into Miva Merchant
    • On purchase, customers will receive a standard softgoods link pointing to the Publisher's store so the eMediaSales DRM service is transparent to the end user.
    • Upon click, the customer will receive an automatic download which can be opened in Adobe Digital Editions (PC Desktop software) or a suitable Android/IOS E-Book Reader such as Aldiko, DLReader, etc.
    • The book is then automatically downloaded and licensed to that Device.
    • Customer must register their e-Book reader with an Adobe.com online account one time.
    • Full installation assistance and packaging service walk-through is included.

In addition to supporting the DRM Publisher Service, this SoftGoods update includes a few new features and also rolls up some previously unpublished sponsored features:

| - Fixed a PR7 basket issue when attempting to keep a user logged in after checkout
    | - Added full Kit, Multi-part variant, and default variant support including kits within kits
    | - Added support for old-style attribute selection cascading into variants/kits
    | - Added an option to store the File Description within the Download Link Attribute/Option
    | - Added new indexes for performance improvements in large stores
    | - Added option to prevent auto-fulfillment for certain payment methods
    | - Added split suffix length to permit more than 99 splits on large files

Many thanks to our loyal SoftGoods customers who sponsored the bulk of these features. This update is available free of charge from your original store of purchase.

Come see me at the conference if you'd like more information on our DRM Publisher service!

Best,
    James
    James Harrell
    current: Friend of Miva
    2007-2012 eMediaSales & Viking Coders
    2005-2007 Miva Merchant
    2001-2005 Copernicus

Re: NEW: eBook DRM Service and SoftGoods Update v5.024

Thanks James for the fantastic news. I love this plugin! I would be even happier if I had a way to get the update. Your site has NO obvious link to your Miva plugins from the home page! Navigation on your site is a pita imho. It mentions all kind of things with no way to get there:( Anyway - I also went into my Miva admin hoping that there would be a place to click for upgrades in your module admin and sigh - nada. Please advise - I DO really appreciate the details and flexibility that your crew have added.
    http://www.invinciblemusic.com

Comment

Hi there -

Thanks for both the love and the rest... I understand your frustration. We're working on a major internal system overhaul that should be launched later this month that will make it REALLY easy for you to find anything you've ever purchased from us. Invoice numbers, license keys, subscriptions, etc., whether from VikingCoders.com, MvtRocks.com, the OLD emediasales.com store (pre-MvtRocks), the REALLY old Copernicus store, MivaCentral.com, and I think even license keys purchased through DesignExtend.com. It will consolidate everything since about 2001, all of our different helpdesks too, which has been one of the biggest problems for internal process (eg, what's your ticket number? Oh, viking or emedia? Oh, Copernicus, hang on...)

But in the mean time this still stands: "This update is available free of charge from your original store of purchase." <grin>

So if you purchased from MivaCentral, use their update system. If you purchased from MvtRocks, just login to your account you'll find a downloads section with direct download links. If you purchased from us directly on the original emediasales.com store which has long since been retired, shoot me an email and I'll get you a download.

Best,
      James
      James Harrell
      2005-2007 Miva Merchant
      2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

OK I understand. So I used the Miva Stores upgrade system and good the download for the new version which I will install soon:) One thing I noticed you may want to fix is that the files INSTALL.txt, LICENSE.txt and test.PDF have all privileges turned off so they cannot be read. I had to go into each of them and turn the privileges on. I would think people should be able to read these?

Comment

Are you on a mac? We've had a few reports of permissions issues on zip files made on a PC but opened on a mac.
          James Harrell
          2005-2007 Miva Merchant
          2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

Yes I am on a Mac. Also the actual program has all privileges turned off so it cannot be installed.

Comment

I went in and changed the privileges on the program and the other files and installed the new version so all is good here if no customers complain! I look forward to using some of the new sexy features soon! Sorry to hear about that PC and Macs are not playing nice when zipped. I though they were getting along these days.

Comment

Question about the use of this module with checkbox attributes:

I am using the new kits features and it's all working well. Right now I have a product that uses radio buttons to select a format for a kit/bundle of 9 products. I was hoping to be able to add an option for one extra download by using a checkbox attribute. It looks like this is set up properly in the Inventory Variants: it shows the additional product in the kit along with for "checked", but when I do a test purchase, I don't get a download for the checkbox product, just the stardard ones.

Do I have something mis-configured or is does the module just not work with checkbox attributes. If not, is there some way to work around this?

Comment

Working...
                X