• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viking FedEx Advanced v5 Update v6.001

] Version 6.001 2012/05/31
    ] - JEH: Fixed rate issue when shipping products separately
    ]

The software update can be downloaded from our new control panel for customers with a valid SUS / Everything / Single subscription.

*Note: If you have an existing $5/mo SUS (Software Update Subscription) for our FedEx Advanced v5 module, you CAN download and install this update and are not required to purchase another subscription. Your license has been activated for v6 installs.

Best,
    James
    James Harrell
    current: Friend of Miva
    2007-2012 eMediaSales & Viking Coders
    2005-2007 Miva Merchant
    2001-2005 Copernicus

Re: Viking FedEx Advanced v5 Update v6.001

I have been using the Viking Coders FedEx Advanced module for a couple of years.

All of a sudden it does not seem to be working. No information from FedEx shows up in the drop down box to allow customers to make a choice.

Are you aware of any issues?

Do I need to do some kind of update?

Any information that you may be able to share would be appreciated
    Tom Young
    Hourglass Maker Since 1975
    http://www.tkyoung.com

Comment

Hi Tom,

Are you on v6.x of FedEx Advanced? If not you'll need to upgrade the software. FedEx retired their legacy API which required us to do a major rewrite of FedEx Advanced this year.

Regards,
      James
      James Harrell
      2005-2007 Miva Merchant
      2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

Thanks James - I have activated FedEx Web Services since making my post earlier today and this seems to have corrected the problem with the exception that for some reason FedEx Ground, although listed Priority 8 of 9, does not show up in the drop down box.
        Tom Young

Comment

FedEx is interesting with respect to ground. You'll usually only get FedEx Home Ground or FedEx Ground depending on residential vs commercial status (including, how you have residential vs commercial rates configured).

Best,
          James
          James Harrell
          2005-2007 Miva Merchant
          2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

I agree that it is interesting.

It does not matter how I configure the delivery address - I have used both verified commercial and residential address - only FedEx Home Delivery shows up now.

Before the upgrade both Ground and Home Delivery displayed correctly. What is the possibility that there may be a bug in the upgrade?
            Tom Young

Comment

You can turn on the rate debug logging feature, and see what methods are being returned in total from FedEx, what options were passed in the request, etc. The file appears in mivadata/s01_BrokFedEx_error.dat - but don't leave logging on for long you'll quickly fill up your disk.

There are configuration options that can cause only FedEx Home to show, including global, category and even product level overrides, multiple shipments, etc. So while you MAY see rates for certain methods returned individually (eg, a product ships separately may permit method X), it might not appear for the full ORDER (at checkout) since other products might exclude that method's availability.

So it's possible one product in your basket doesn't qualify, something about the order or configuration doesn't qualify, etc. It's even possible the new API has subtle differences. Could it be a bug? Not ruling it out, but run your logging first before we call it that. :)

Best,
              James
              James Harrell
              2005-2007 Miva Merchant
              2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Young View Post
                Before the upgrade both Ground and Home Delivery displayed correctly. What is the possibility that there may be a bug in the upgrade?
                After a little more experimenting I learned that, unlike the previous version, it now will show the commercial delivery - FedEx Ground - only if the company name is filled in.

This is a plus for which I thank you!
                Tom Young

Comment

I would be interested in learning why a store owner should consider paying to use v6.x of FedEx Advanced rather than using FedEx Web Services included in the MIVA software.
                  Tom Young

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Young View Post
                    I would be interested in learning why a store owner should consider paying to use v6.x of FedEx Advanced rather than using FedEx Web Services included in the MIVA software.
                    There is a LOT more flexibility with the VC module. The only drawback (besides cost) is that it does not support SmartPost.

Paul
                    Paul

Comment

If you are able to provide a link where I would be able to see more about the flexibility it would be appreciated.

On the surface I cannot see how what I want to and am able to accomplish using FedEx Web Services differs from what was previously possible using Viking FedEx Advanced v5.

What does v6 offer that v5 and FedEx Web Services do not? At present I cannot justify the $14.99 MONTHY FEE.
                      Tom Young

Comment

At present, I don't believe it does anymore than v5 did.

Why did you use the VC module instead of the built-in functionality before? The differences are pretty much the same. If you don't need to add a standard box weight to each package, add surcharges, apply discounts, restrict options by category or product, etc., then you probably don't need their module.

As much as we wanted to use the built-in module, we couldn't make it work in our environment due to the inability to apply different surcharges per method and the lack of the inclusion of the packaging weight.

Paul
                        Paul

Comment

Paul,

What flexibility is that? The one I'm aware of is multiple ship from zips, is there more?
                          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                          CEO
                          Miva, Inc.
                          [email protected]
                          https://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
                          X