In Memory of Luray Williams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In Memory of Luray Williams...

Haven't met Luray personally - but professionally his courtesy, attitude and commitment dealing with post sale issues of his stuff - like right after an OPENUI update = Price Wizard Pro broke - won my trust and respect.

Comment

Let me also extend my deepest sympathies on his passing to his family, his friends, and the entire MIVA community.

To bolster Pamela's description of what type of person Luray was, and though I have many other stories about Luray, the one that I immediately thought of when I first heard the news, was how he spent 30 minutes with me at the airport, almost missing his flight, just to help me find a gift to take home to my daughter.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia
        ...was how he spent 30 minutes with me at the airport, almost missing his flight, just to help me find a gift to take home to my daughter.
        Oh, I can see him, "Oh <expletive>! I gotta go." As he turns his back yet still looks at you, then starts his speed walking.

Luray often flew out some time after most of us and would leave for the airport hours earlier than necessary to hang out at terminals other than the one he was flying from. While the rest of us wanted to get to the gate way early in case of any changes, he just went with the flow. Gosh, we could learn a lot from him.
        Best,
        Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
        Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
        Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
        pamelahazelton.com

Comment

I am saddened to hear the news of Lurays passing. His modules have served as the foundation of our web store for years.
          "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Just wanted to follow up as the family is appreciative of all your comments. They've read them and were pleasantly surprised at the impact Luray had in the community (they thought he was just ignoring them when he'd leave the room to go tinker on the computer) and weren't aware of how much of a life he actually had working with MIVA Merchant.

His brother-in-law explained to me that at the memorial (which was today) he would discuss that - this life Luray led outside the circle of family and local friends. Even most of his neighbors weren't aware of just what he did in that office of his.
            Best,
            Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

I was fortunate to meet Luray at the first Miva Conference in July of 2000. First day, first other developer I met. We had traded emails for about a year prior and hit it off well, but we had never seen each other so did not know who to look for. Each of us had snuck outside for a smoke before the first session, noticed we both abused non-filtered Camel cigarettes, and became immediate and fast friends - then introduced ourselves. Within about 30 minutes he and I were playing "old home week" with a who's-who of MIva developers in a gaggle of the nicest Miva folks you could ever hope to meet. That first meeting set a tone of comfortable friendship between us all, and no small amount due to Luray's general 'zen' of camaraderie.

From that point we worked together on and off for next 6 years. Sometimes intensely, but more often just to touch base and offer a rekindled smile. Regardless the matter, any and all contact from Luray was a cause for a welcome grin.

At the 2004 Miva Conference we played together again, the same basic crew of Miva-ites took a short cruise together on a big sailboat. And once again Luray added his normal ambiance of friendship which enhanced the experience, and we were fortunate enough to grab a couple of pictures of him too.

http://www.driftwood.net/bloatfloat/
              (lower left column, pictures 2 and 3 from the bottom)

To me, Luray was not only a friend I held in very dear affection. He was also a driving force in the Miva community who's work directly or indirectly impacted every person with any involvement in the great world of Miva. He will be very sorely missed.

But I will never, ever be able to think of Luray and not smile. Fair winds my old friend.

Jonathan

Comment

I wanted to post an update, because it's been a hard few weeks for Luray's mother, siblings and the rest of the family. This past Monday Luray's sister Patty passed away. I was asked to think of her and keep Luray's entire family in my thoughts, and thought I'd request the same of you - Luray's mother, who turned 90 last year, is a very strong woman (she takes walks every day and has overcome many of life's obstacles) but right now I can't imagine what she is feeling. Please keep her especially in your prayers. She's such a wonderful woman.

Also, some sharing about Luray's relationship with her daughter and how much he cared about his work:
                http://www.designextend.com/blog/?p=62
                Best,
                Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Originally posted by leslienord
                  I have no words, just a sad place in my heart. Godspeed Luray you are a true gentleman. Thank you for the few moment in time that I was able to share with you.
                  I moment of silence...
                  Online Check Systems

Comment

Working...
                  X