SEO & Duplicate Content Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO & Duplicate Content Question

We are going to making some changes to our site, but I'm worried about getting penalized by Google for duplicate content.

Currently we have one main domain and two other domains pointing to it. We've use absolute links on all our pages so that one domain name in particular is the one that Google has indexed. We planned it that way after we changed our company name back in 2002. So that "pointer" is really the one that has been indexed.

We are about to change our company name again. I'm going to point yet another domain name at the main site, change all the absolute links to the new name, let it get indexed, then remove the original pointer domain that has been indexed by Google since 2002.

I was going to wait about a month for the "new" domain pointer to get indexed before removing the current pointer name that is indexed. However, I'm worried that Google will see duplicate content.

Does Google see pointer domains as duplicate content or as separate domains?

Does my plan sound faulty -- am I missing something? Anyone know of better way to do this or does this plan sound okay?

Thanks in advance.

Read this post and see if it's what you're looking for:

http://www.highrankings.com/issue142.htm#guest

HTH
    Keli Etscorn, CEO
    Bear Canyon Consulting, LLC
    www.KeliE.com
    www.BearCanyonSEO.com

Comment

Hi Keli!

Thanks for that article -- it does sound like a good plan, however, for reasons way too complicated to explain, I actually don't want my "old" domain links to re-direct to the new URL.

So I think what's going to happen is Google is going to index the "new" domain when it follows the nav links that have absolute URL's in them. So I will have all my pages indexed under two different domain names. Then I'll just remove the "old" domain so when it's clicked on, it will actually bomb out, and eventually that domain will drop from Google's index.

That's what leaves me with the question about duplicate content.

So I guess the real question is does Google see "pointer" domains as separate domains when indexing? So if you have one, or more "pointers" to the same domain, is that going to be considered duplicate content?

Comment

If I'm understanding correctly... I'd just have some inbound links from other Google-approved sites (so that the new domain is picked up and indexed) and just get rid of the old site as it's not going to be in the picture, you don't care about existing rankings with it and you want to avoid dup content.

Say you have x number of domains pointing to one that we'll call your *main* domain (one that you want Google to take notice of for SEO/indexing purposes), just make sure that main domain is the ONLY one indexed by Google. The others won't matter as long as you aren't using them for SEO purposes. That's why I think I'd get rid of the old domain (content) alltogether so that there's no duplicate content prob while you're trying to promote the up and coming domain.

Does that help? I think I need coffee lol

HTH,
        Keli Etscorn, CEO
        www.KeliE.com
        www.BearCanyonSEO.com

Comment

LOL Keli! I'm on my second cup already and I'm still confused.

The way the site is set up now is like this:

www.mainsite.com
          then I have www.pointerdomain.com pointing at www.mainsite.com.

In all my links on my site I've always used www.pointerdomain.com/blah blah so that Google would actually index www.pointerdomain.com and not www.mainsite.com

And that worked. However www.mainsite.com has the same google page rank as www.pointerdomain.com (but not nearly as many pages indexed).

So I want to create www.pointerdomain2.com and point it at www.mainsite.com and change all the links in my nav etc. to absolute links like www.pointerdomain2.com/blah blah. So now when Google crawls, they will be following links to the same pages, but with a the new URL (www.pointerdomain2.com) and will stop indexing the original www.pointerdomain.com).

After 1 month, I would remove www.pointerdomain.com and would be left with www.mainsite.com and www.pointerdomain2.com

But for about 1 month, I would have the same pages indexed with 2 different domain names which would really be pointing at the main site (same pages).

ROFL! Is it even humanly possible to follow what I just typed? I don't think coffee is going to do it, I might need something stronger! LOL
          Last edited by Wendy; 03-29-06, 08:07 AM.

Comment

IF I am following, I'd just remove pointerdomain.com alltogether right off the bat. It's not needed.

Why can't mainsite work alone without the pointers? If both the pointer and the mainsite have PR that would concern me that Google views these as two different sites. You only want one of them in the SE's.

Yep, we're gonna need something stronger... and it's just 9am!
            Keli Etscorn, CEO
            www.KeliE.com
            www.BearCanyonSEO.com

Comment

I could just use the main site, only it has a really crappy name, not related to our industry at all. However, it does have a PR and because of that, anything new I add to the site gets indexed within 24 hours. If I use a new pointer, it automatically gets the same PR as the main site -- at least that has been my experience.

Thanks for the input though, I think once I get the new pointer set up, I will remove the old one right away. :)

Comment

I didn't read the article, so I don't know if this was discussed in it, but: why don't you use 301 Redirects (301 = resource has been permanently moved) to direct pointerdomain.com to pointerdomain2.com, and a robots.txt file on mainsite.com to keep it from being indexed at all.

The advantages of doing this are:

1) users will never see broken links when they click from google (or any of the other search engines). 404 errors are bad, because the user thinks you're out of business and just goes away looking for someone else.

2) when the googlebot crawls your pointerdomain.com site, and sees the 301 redirects to pointerdomain2.com, they will REPLACE pointerdomain.com with pointerdomain2.com in their index, and you should retain the same PR on the new domain.

If you haven't already, you should also create a google sitemap for pointerdomain2.com.
                Last edited by larryh; 03-29-06, 12:55 PM.
                Larry Hiscock
                AngelicHost
                www.angelichost.net

Comment

Hi Larry!

Thanks for the info, however, I don't want to re-direct the old URL to the new one!

I don't care if someone clicks on an old link and it bombs. I want this new URL to stand on it's own and not be linked to the old one. I just want to hijack the old one's page rank! LOL

Comment

I would make sure no links are pointing to these other domains and you use the robots.txt file to tell search engines to not index them.
                    Jason Henderson - JMH Web Services
                    Miva Merchant Marketing Mastermind Group

SEO & Marketing for Miva Merchant
                    Miva Merchant Modules Comparison Directory
                    Miva Merchant Tutorials
                    Working with Miva Merchant since 1999 including search engine optimization and marketing specifically for Miva Merchant store owners.

Comment

Well, the one way to help retain the old pages page rank is to do what is called a 301 permenent redirect. That should at least, get SEs to include inbound links to the old site, as inbound links to the new site, since technically, a SE can't tell the difference.
                      Bruce Golub
                      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Jason! So you're saying make sure there are no links to the main site and the original pointer and same for the robots text? This way the new URL will be the only URL that Google is picking up!? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wendy
                          Thanks Jason! So you're saying make sure there are no links to the main site and the original pointer and same for the robots text? This way the new URL will be the only URL that Google is picking up!? :)
                          yes, i would do the 301 redirect as bruce said too. will be really good if the same pages on old sites are on new sites. hostasaurus will be able to set you up with a 301 permanent redirect wildcard so that anything at www.oldsite.com/*.* redirects to www.newsite.com. If you have inbound links to old sites from third-party domains, contact them all to change their link. hth
                          Jason Henderson - JMH Web Services
                          Miva Merchant Marketing Mastermind Group

SEO & Marketing for Miva Merchant
                          Miva Merchant Modules Comparison Directory
                          Miva Merchant Tutorials
                          Working with Miva Merchant since 1999 including search engine optimization and marketing specifically for Miva Merchant store owners.

Comment

Originally posted by Wendy
                            Hi Larry!

Thanks for the info, however, I don't want to re-direct the old URL to the new one!

I don't care if someone clicks on an old link and it bombs. I want this new URL to stand on it's own and not be linked to the old one. I just want to hijack the old one's page rank! LOL
                            I guess I'm just not understanding what you're trying to accomplish, or why you wouldn't care about potential lost sales when someone clicks from google and gets a 404.

But, AFAIK, the only way to "hijack" the old PR is by using the 301 redirect. It also has the added benefit of REMOVING the links to the old site from google's index, and replacing them with the links to the new site.
                            Larry Hiscock
                            AngelicHost
                            www.angelichost.net

Comment

Okay, I hafta admit -- I'm no web guru! I didn't understand what a 301 re-direct was. Read up on it a bit, understand it, sounds like a plan.

But the original article that Keli pointed me to says that it's better to use a 302 re-direct for 6-12 months since a 301 will make Google think it's a new site and will not rank the pages the same.

So which is better a 302 re-direct until the site "ages" or a 301 right out of the starting gate?

Comment

Working...
                              X